Chapter 18: You Gotta Kiss The Boy

I felt the presence of someone following me as I trekked my way through the castle to the dining hall.

The hair on my arms were raised as my werewolf senses detected movement trailing behind me.

I inhaled deeply, feeling a strong pull in my chest by the movement, and I caught the familiar scent.

"Is there a reason you're lurking in the shadows, Kai?" I asked as I abruptly stopped and turned towards him with a smirk.

He stepped out from behind a hidden alcove a few feet away from me.

"I wasn't lurking," He objected.

"Following?" I suggested an alternative word.

"Doing my job," He corrected.

"And your job's shadowing me?" I asked as my eyebrows drew together in confusion but then smoothed out in realization. "Aiden."

"Yep," He answered with a guilty smile. "Say hello to your new guard until you feel better."

I felt a spark of anger ignite under my skin, "Thank you Kai, but I don't need a babysitter."

"Then consider me your guard."

"I don't need that either," I bit out.

Kai's eyes warmed as he stepped closer to me and patted my head, "I know what you're thinking and it's not that all at."

I sighed, "So it's not him thinking I'm weak?"

He shook his head and looked exasperated, "Aiden knows you're strong. Hell even I know that after you jumped out the car and fought a vamp that first night. But, I think you should cut him some slack on this. After losing his parents and brother, he won't be able to bear another lose. Especially not yours, Tate. You're his mate."

"Do you have to make so much sense?" I frowned.

Chuckling, he threw his arms around my shoulder and guided me down the hall, "Being this wise is a blessing and a curse."

I poked him in the ribs at that before hesitantly asking, "So he told you huh?"

"About?"

"My heart."

"You have nothing to worry about with me Tate. I don't think any less of you for it. In fact, you've earned more of my respect," He squeezed my shoulders and smiled down at me proudly. "It's an honourable thing to fight for your pack and then live to tell the tale. Battle wounds make us who we are."

"Even if it makes us into weak links?"

"They don't make us weak. They make us stronger and wiser. Weakness is just a concept we say to define our insecurities and a wound is nothing you need to be ashamed of."

"Thanks Yoda," I said appreciative of his wise words. Kai was like the big brother that protected you from everyone including yourself.

I didn't need to know him long to know that about him. He was fiercely loyal and protective. He'd wage wars to see his loved ones live.

Kai was a warrior with the mind of a philosopher.

He snorted at me calling him Yoda as he went on a tangent about how the Star Wars chapters were inaccurately named according to the plot of the films.

When we arrived at the dining hall, I watched Aiden smiling in amusement as Tourmaline told him about the turtles that showed up on the beach yesterday.

I stopped a few feet away I observed their interaction. It was common to see them together laughing but each time, it did something to my heart.

Not the painful punches that has me gasping for breath, but soothing strokes that keeps me alive.