Chapter 17: Just Keep Swimming

Three days later and Dr. Nazra, pack doctor of the Oaks Pack, confirmed that my heart rate's keeping a steady pace at sixty-four.

For now.

Aiden and her had an hour long phone conversation with Dr. Adler, to which Aiden kicked me out of the room after I keep telling the three of them that I was fine. I did, however, listened through the door as they discussed causes, treatment and the effects it will have on me.

It wasn't anything new that Dr. Adler hadn't already explained to me. But Aiden did keep his promise and kept Emery's magical healing a secret.

All Dr. Nazra knew was that we had a possible solution. She didn't question it after Aiden made it clear it wasn't up for discussion. She and Dr. Adler did discuss a second option.

A back-up plan that Aiden growled at. He was fully adamant on Emery healing me...and I can't deny that I was wishing for the same.

If it doesn't work...then the next option was a pacemaker. Except I really didn't like the thought of them cutting me open to put the pacemaker in my chest.

If felt too clinical.

Too intrusive for my comfort.

Until then, I was banishing all thoughts of heart conditions, healers and devices with electric pulses.

Now, my only focus was deciding on which swimsuit to wear for my first lesson in swimming.

Little Tourm and I banded together and got Aiden to take us down to the beach today. With her cuteness and my mate magic, he was putty in our hands.

Since the last time we were down there, Aiden tracked down the issue that caused the motion detectors he has in the water to not send a signal to the alarm system. It turned out to be a short in the cables on the alarm due to it's exposure in the sun.

Now that it's sorted, Tourmaline was excited to get back into the water. I was also a little buzzed to learn how to swim...especially since Tourm promised to have a pod of dolphins swim by.

The perks of having mermaids around.

As I looked at the dozen swimsuits Calypso got for me from the human town nearby, my indecisiveness kicked in.

One piece? Bikini? Should I just throw one of the shorts and a t-shirt?

It certainly didn't help with Aiden's confession looming over my head like an animated circle of dizzying stars.

Not just friendship.

Those were his words. The exact words that's been looping around my head for past three days.

I had the urge to laugh at myself for believing that being friends was what he wanted all along.

But now that he did admit to wanting more, my insecurity rang out as I tried to find a suitable swimwear. I don't think there was a person on this planet, male or female or non-binary, that doesn't experience insecurity every now and again. It was a naturally ingrained part our mindset influenced by society's words.

So now I stood in front of my mirror wondering if anyone would question me wearing a turtleneck to the beach.

Answer leaned closer to: yes.

Ditching the eyesore sweater, that I'll probably never need in this corner of the world, I closed my eyes and grabbed a random piece of cloth off my bed.

Peeking one eye open, I cringed at the wine red two piece, but mustered what little courage I had and threw it on.

And God bless Calypso for also bringing me a few cover-ups, albeit they were either crochet or sheer.