Chapter 20: Breaking & Entering

I took in the room with a perplexed expression.

"Where's...well everything else?" I asked as I looked around at the bare contents.

To the right, a large bookshelf lined the wall from top to bottom. Ancient academia text with leather brown spines stacked each row. To the left was a giant cork board that contained articles, book pages and hand written scribbled notes pinned up like a murder investigation. A white board also hung on the wall with writing and book titles.

Beside that, there was a desk and an armchair.

And a railing across from me.

"Downstairs," Aiden answered as I approached the other side of the room.

With my hands planted on the cool metal railing, I looked down to see a king size bed with Tourmaline already tucked in and sleeping on the floor below.

I was in awe as my eyes turned to the main feature of the two story room.

The window.

Where the bookshelf ended, the staircase started to the the other floor. But behind the staircase, was a giant rectangular glass that ran along the right wall.

All the way from the top of the second floor to the bottom of the first. And beyond the thick glass was the edge of the cliff and then the sea beyond.

However, the beauty was marred by the heavy raindrops that splattered the window and the white clouds against the dark sky that signaled the storm.

I watched as a bolt of lightning flashed between the clouds in a beautifully terrifying hue of white and blue.

The chill of the siren's presence was still etched into my skin but Aiden's heat ward it away as I felt him step closer behind me.

My skin tingle from his near proximity. Tempting me to press into his comfort. To relive our brief moment of feeling alive in the ballroom.

"It won't break," His breath brushed the shell of my ear and for a moment I didn't know what he was speaking off.

When I titled my head back to look at him, his eyes were on the window.

"How are you so sure?"

A small smile played on his lips as his eyes were light were humour from a distant memory, "I tried everything to see if it'll crack."

"Everything?" I asked unconvinced.

His gaze shifted to my own with a fierce intensity, "Everything."

I smiled as I ran my hand over the railing and walked past him. My arm brushing his and lighting a wildfire of emotions in me.

"I really like your room," I said, lowering my voice, as I walked down the steps.

"You do?" He asked in surprise as he followed behind me.

"It's incredible," I breathed as I took in the ground floor.

An industrial styled chandelier hung from the high ceiling creating the effect of water droplets frozen in the air. It gave off the a soft warm glow that made the room more inviting.

Under the mezzanine of the upper floor was more bookshelves, a large sofa and a desk with more scattered paper.

Aside from those loose notes, his bedroom was pristine. Clean stone blue walls with white trimming. Bed properly made, with Tourmaline sleeping away her nightmarish visitors. Floor clear of dirty laundry. No old moldy food sitting on the bedside table.