Chapter 9: Might Accidentally Murder Her

That night I twist and turned in my new bed with pictures of thirsty bloodsuckers crawling in my mind. Even though my encounter was brief with one, it felt like they've intercepted my mind and now my skin crawled from being touched by the dead.

A projected image of his silver eyes, cold skin, and bloodthirsty fangs kept my eyes open and my body on high alert.

Nothing about this situation felt real. Nothing made enough sense for it to click together.

Why were the vampires only after his pack?

How did they manage to get into the castle and kill his brother and sister-in-law?

Unless it happened in their old territory... but then that would mean they vampires followed them here to the coast. That suggested that they wanted something.

Because that was always the question; what do they want?

One thing I could count on was their lack of ability to walk in the sunlight. Nope, they didn't shimmer and shine like Edward, they burnt to ashes.

But what really chilled my bones was when Aiden said that Tourmaline was his only family.

They both had each other and a big pack, but they didn't have a family like me. They didn't have the luxury of receiving the love of a parent and the laugh of a sibling.

And that pained me the most. I'd be damned if I didn't make them see that I was here for them now...both of them.

Aiden can have friendship all he wants but I'm still going to be here for him, as family. That he can count on. No matter how hard he tries to be distant, I'll weasel myself in.

Especially now that he revealed Tourmaline was his niece and not his daughter. To think Aiden was more zaddy and less daddy.

Goddamn, his fatherly instincts should be the least of my concerns, but when the man looked as he did, it was hard to not want what I can't truly have...

The following morning, I was groggy, grouchy, and hungry after skipping dinner and lacking sleep.

Worst of all, as I got ready for the day, I realized my entire wardrobe was mountain chic and not beach goddess. Which meant I was about to sweat buckets in sweaters and jeans if I didn't buy myself new clothes soon.

At least I had a few t-shirts.

After getting ready for the day I made my way to the dining hall or what I thought was the dining hall. I apparently took the wrong turn as I ended up in a hallway without windows and only one door at the end. As I stalked closer to the giant double doors, I realised that there was some sort of crystalized mineral embedded on the surface.

The crystals were pale yellow and covered every square inch of the doors, including the handles. To the right of the door, there was a black screen that looked oddly like a hand-scanner.