Chapter 5: Ugliest Being To Ever Exist

After being completely friend-zoned by my mate, Aiden went back inside to inform his Beta that he's staying here until the wedding. I, of course, had a mini-meltdown from going from Single Tate to Tate with a Mate to Friend-zoned Tate.

Goddamn, was friendship really the best we could do?

Three days later and I still don't have an answer because I've barely seen him. It was as if he was never truly here.

While we had our cake moment, we hadn't made much headway. A 'good morning' here and a 'how was your day' there. It was as if we were just two ships passing in the night.

Anytime I spotted him in the hall, he was always on his phone shouting orders to his pack. But, every time I approached to ask him how I can help, he just shook his head, said he's got it handled, and walked away.

So, I ended up helping Emery as a designated bridesmaid. And by that, I mean I sat tasting samples of wedding cake with her while she stressed out and I nodded along. I can't remember what she was stressing so much about but I can tell you that the champagne cake with strawberry cream was heaven in my mouth.

My brother, on the other hand, was busy brooding over my mate and his absolute dislike towards the guy. So, Emery sent him and Aiden out together to do some tux shopping.

According to Taylor, the tailor of our pack, Thane and Aiden nearly had a brawl in his shop. Apparently, my brother wanted Aiden to wear a burnt orange tie, for no reason whatsoever.

Luckily, they didn't kill each other and there was less glaring and snarls by the time they made it back.

"Your hair looks beautiful Tate," Emery grinned at me from her chair.

I looked at my crown braid that had flowers twisted in.

"I know, it's a God-given gift," I gloated, and she threw a make-up brush at me which I easily dodged.

Our friend Bailey frowned, "Who's going to do my hair when you leave?"

I groaned, "Don't remind me. Seriously, I might lock myself in the Crypt knowing that it's my last day here."

The Crypt is where the pack kept rogues that wandered into our land. It was underground and covered in silver doors and locks. I don't know what sounded like the worst option, moving away with a mate who hardly speaks to me or staying in the chamber of silver.

Emery turned to me with a sad smile, "Your brother and I didn't start off great either, remember? Trust me, he'll come around."

My gaze fell to hands as I anxiously chipped my painted nails, "Yeah, I'm not too sure about that."

"Tate," She got off her chair and stood behind me as she wrapped her arms around my shoulders, "you two just need time. Trust me, you're going to be calling me a week from now telling me about how in love you are."

I crinkled my nose as I looked her in the reflection of the mirror, "Love does not move that fast."

"Tell that to Romeo and Juliet."

"I would but they're both dead," I deadpanned and she and Bailey both laughed at my cynicism.

After getting ready, I threw on my wine-red bridesmaid dress before we all helped Emery with her wedding dress. Mom cried, my great aunt Jane talked about wanting babies around and soon enough we were lined up to walk down the aisle before the bride.

I was paired up with my two brothers Teddy and Thomas, the troublesome twins. Actually, they weren't that bad, they were honestly adorable but they, of course, had their moments as most eight-year-old boys do.