Chapter 10: Stolen Cookies

"I have important things I need to take care of, so you and Tourmaline can run along," Jenny said as we stood outside the dining hall.

I looked down at Tourmaline who was gripping my hand and she simply shrugged, unfazed. From what I'd gathered so far, Jenny took care of Tourmaline. Yet, she didn't seem keen on sticking around today when Tourmaline was with me...a practical stranger. That wasn't something I would have done with my little brothers.

Tourmaline didn't seem as if she minded either as she tugged on my hand.

"Come on Tate, I want to show you the entire castle."

"Not the..." Jenny started but narrowed her eyes on me before she continued, "pool. You can't take Tate in there."

"But I-"

"Tourmaline!" Jenny said sternly. "Listen to your elders without throwing a tantrum."

The child reeled back hurt as her eyes went to the floor, her joyful mood deflated, and her lower lip quivered.

"Yelling at her isn't going to make her learn any better," I said with an edge to my voice.

Jenny's eyes glinted with anger as she sneered, "I've been taking care of her for two years, I know just how to speak to her to get her to learn. Isn't that right Tourmaline?"

The little girl nodded without looking up and I wanted to drag Jenny by the tips of her green hair outside and smack some sense into her.

"Don't give your uncle any trouble," Was the last thing she said as she sauntered out the door.

I lowered to Tourm's height and tilted her chin up, "Do you know what my grand aunt Jane always says?"

She shook her head as a tear escaped her eyes and I brushed it away.

"She said that adults were a bunch of knuckles heads who forgot what it was like to be a kid. Jane said to never be like them. Never grow up too fast because when we do, we become a bunch of cranky old people who throw worst tantrums than any kid."

I saw her lip curled up as she rubbed her eyes, "Is Jane a cranky old lady?"

I laugh as I bopped her nose, "Jane may be old but she'll never admit it. And she most certainly isn't cranky because she's a kid at heart."

"Can I meet her?" She asked with hopeful eyes.

"Definitely," I promised. "Maybe we can take a trip back to my old pack."

She beamed at the idea, "Yay! Uncle Aiden never lets me go anywhere."

Unease settled over me at the prospect of not keeping my promise to her knowing that Aiden may not let her go. But if there's a will, there's a way, right?

"Maybe we can convince him, if not, I'll ask if Jane can visit," I stood to my full height and held my hand out for hers. "Now come one, you said you were going to show me the castle."

Tourmaline happily grabbed my hand and when we turned around, I saw Calypso and Matt both sending grateful smiles my way before scurrying back to the dining hall.

"First I need to show you the courtyard. Come on Tate!" She said happily once again as she pulled me along.

We walked beyond the grand staircase and down a long, broad hallway, towards a thick glass door. Outside, was a giant courtyard that was boxed in by each side of the castle.

Bright green grass covered most of the ground only to be broken up by a pebbled walkway. Off to the right was a pergola swing with yellow Lady Banks' roses growing off the wooden panels and cascading off the sides like wild vines. A few palm trees lined the sides, with a very comfortable looking hammock tied between two. There was also a swing set, monkey bars, and a slide to one corner and I knew from the shade of pink that it was put there for Tourmaline.