Chapter 35: Spirit Of Fresh Water

"Sit still, would you?" Jenny chided. 

"You're literally rubbing blood on my arms, what do you expect me to do?" I grumbled as I made a face at the cup of blood she held. As if she was some Picasso, she used a brush to apply the warm, sticky blood on my arms. 

I wasn't squeamish at the sight of blood, hard to be when you're a werewolf, but the idea of being painted in someone else's blood had my tummy protesting to return my breakfast if I didn't stop the artwork from happening. 

"That's enough," Aiden commanded to Jenny as he walked into the room. "I couldn't smell her coming up here, so she should be safe."

"You couldn't?" I asked amazed that the mermaid blood could cover the powerful scent of a mate.

Aiden nodded grimly, not seeming pleased by his lack of sensing me by scent. 

"Are we ready?" I asked, watching as dawn soon approached beyond my bedroom window. 

"Dr. Nazra is already in the car and Rick is clearing the gate the north entrance so we could exit quietly," He explained before turning to Jenny. "Leave us."

She didn't question him before walking out, her footsteps fading down the corridor. 

Aiden approached me slowly, reaching out and pulling me to him, "I need you to stay at my side when we get there, okay? Don't leave with anyone else."

"I promise," I pecked his lips.

"And don't trust Jenny," His eyes bore into mine as he said it. "I did promise to help her get her mate back, but after all that she has done, I don't trust and will never trust her. Not even with a single strand of your hair."

"I don't trust her either," I agreed. "But she won't betray us again, not if she truly wants to see Anvi."

He nodded but I could still sense his wariness, "If there comes a situation where we must split up..." his voice trailed off as if he couldn't conceive that notion. Simply not wanting to speak it into existence. 

"I know," I gulped over the lump that formed in my throat before answering, "run."

"That's my girl," He praised before dropping a kiss on my forehead and then led us to the garage. Only being five in the morning, most of the pack was asleep. Guards were stationed everywhere but the maze of corridors we took to the garage. Carefully situated to allow our silent exit from the palace grounds. 

In the next half hour we loaded whatever weapons were needed together with extra clothing, because for a werewolf you can never be too certain you won't have to tear your clothes apart while shifting. By the time we were clearing the castle's gate, the rays of the morning sunrise was already streaming through the car windows. 

"Keep the blood on you," Aiden advised when he saw me trying to rub at the already drying blood on my arms. Reaching out, he took one of my hand in his, easily steering the car with the other, "Just in case."

"Hate to break up the cute moment," Dr. Nazra teased as she stuck her head between the front seats, "but how are we sure this isn't a set up? And what could Kai have found that would help?"

Aiden and I exchanged a glance. We hadn't exactly explained where Kai and Matt was to anyone except Rick, Calypso and Jenny. The fear of losing our last hope had kept our lips sealed.

"They're called the Spirit Of Fresh Water," Jenny said from the backseat. "The Mélusine."

My eyes shifted to her in the backseat as Nazra sat back to listen to her. Jenny's eyes were distant and her lips were tilted up. As if she was reminiscing about an old memory.