Chapter 21: Bleeding Heart

I stared, wide eyed, into the glimmer silver eyes that will haunt my dreams from that moment forth.

A vampire held an old man's neck to his blood-stained mouth. The man's eyes wild with fright, his lips open on a silent plea. The life draining from his eyes.

I felt sick to stomach, urging myself to look away, but my muscles locking me into place.

Earl turned as white as a sheet. His skin ashen and his pulse no longer beating.

The vampire dropped his dead body to the floor of the shed. It made a sickening cracking noise. The sound of bones breaking. A skull cracking.

Beside me, I vaguely became aware of Aiden shifting. Tearing his clothes to shreds and leaving his awful boat shoes busting at the seams.

His canines gripped my blouse and yanked me back, fully saturated in the dazzling sun.

But my eyes were frozen on the vampire. His black hair perfectly smoothed back and three-piece suit pressed to crisp lines.

The only sign of his true monster nature was the glistening sheen of blood on the corner of his lips which he brushed off with his thumb before licking it clean.

Aiden's wolf nudged a wooden stake into my hand as the vampire edged his way around a work bench and closer to the door of the tool shed.

His movements were slow and deliberate. As if trying not to spoke us.

As if we were the prey and he was the hunter.

He can't step outside. He can't walk in the sunlight.

Those were words I chanted in a silent prayer. Manifesting my thoughts into being reality.

And it must have worked as he grabbed an extra-large black umbrella and opened it up.

Just like that, he covered himself and took a step outside. Careful not to let the sunlight touch him.

Aiden's wolf growled low and dangerous at him, a warning. My grip on the dagger tightened as I ran through the training I've done for the past week.

The blood sucker stopped right outside the door with a smile.

His skin was bloodless and pallid. Cheeks lacked that ruddy tinge and skin admonished of the glow from a warm tan. Lifeless and sickly. Unnatural and eerie.

"Wolf," He greeted with a thick French accent and a nod of his head.

Aiden responded with a snarl, saliva flying out between his canines. He positioned himself slightly in front of me.

Always protecting.

"You're alone," I called out as I picked up on only his scent. "Brave of you to be out during the day.

His silver eyes flickered to me with a spine-chilling gleam. His nose turned up to the air as he sniffed.

"Ahh, so you're the magnificent creature Aiden's found," He grinned.

I faltered at what he said, surprised by his knowledge of us.

But I supposed he's known of Aiden seeing as he was the werewolf between the vampire and their mermaid blood.

He spoke again as if reading my mind, "My vampires have told me all about you...well your blood in particular. Old Earl there was tasty, but a bit bland with his A positive blood. You ma chéri," He sniffed again, "are incredibly sweet."

Blood type O negative was in fact like a rare aged fine wine for vampires. It's apparently one of the rarest blood types.

Just my luck...