Chapter 27: From A Poet To A Poem

Chapter 26 Summary Recap: While Tate awaits receiving blood to undergo a heart operation, Aiden takes her and the rest of the crew to the lighthouse. There, Tate gets to finally shift into her wolf. This doesn't last for long as the energy spent on transforming and running around leave her spent and quickly out of breath. While she's shifted back to her human form and goes into the lighthouse, Aiden orders Kai to keep an eye on her. During there conversation it is revealed that Kai was the Gamma of the Oaks Pack before Dylan claimed the title. Kai refuses to speak further on the subject, leaving Tate with questions of what happened in the past.

 Kai refuses to speak further on the subject, leaving Tate with questions of what happened in the past

Sitting across the table from Kai made the questions in my head bounce back to life. 

Kai was the Gamma of the Oaks Pack before Dylan. That sentence in itself made no reasonable sense. 

For starters, I don't believe Aiden would have permitted a challenge against his Gamma. However, if Kai accepted the challenge in the name of pride and honour, then the possibility of him losing the fight would be next to none existent. 

Not unless his opponent was a Gamma from another pack or someone of higher ranking. There are a rare few that might be able to best the greatest warrior of a pack, but Dylan didn't strike me as one of them. 

He was great on the field, sure, but I've also seen Kai fight. Kai's technique was almost innate. He moved with the grace of a swan, the agility of a hummingbird but the ferocity of an eagle. Kai's footwork was unmatched in the pack while Dylan's tactics can be predictable at times. 

So, that begs the questions: What happened and why has been kept a secret?

Kai refused to answer my questions, going as far as keeping a wide berth between us whenever he's shadowing me, in the days since he revealed that secret. 

And I get it. It's his secret to tell, which is why I haven't asked again or questioned anyone else about it. 

But since two and two weren't adding up to four, I had to figure it out. If only to put my mind at ease. 

Turning to Aiden, I noticed that he's left his plate untouched. A dark, troubling shadow shrouded his features in a menacing edge. 

My blood may be low, but he was the cold one today.  

"Aiden?" I placed my hand on his arm, startling him back to reality. 

"Hmm?" He murmured expectantly, as if he didn't hear what I said. 

"Are you okay?"

If smiles were a product, then the one he gave me was a cheap knock-off brand sold for an inadequate amount. Too tight and not reaching his eyes. 

"Distracted is all," He answered before getting to his feet. "I'm heading out to train the others, but I'll see you later."

A forehead kiss later and he was nearly bolting from the room.