16

Chapter 16:

He was being punished, Harry surmised. That was the only possible explanation to why he was being 'treated' to a full 'family day'. It was a cruel and unnecessary punishment, and he nearly pleaded with the deities to release him when they sat around the fireplace in a group.

"So Harry, I expect you have a few questions for us. What would you like to know?"

"Why muggles?" Harry asked immediately, making them shift. He saw Rosina smirk out of Lily and James' line of sight and nearly rolled her eyes; he was glad not to have grown up with her.

"It was the only option. After the fall of Voldemort it was still dangerous to trust anyone, and Dumbledore said that Rosie would need to train for when that monster returned. You would have been pushed to the side, it wouldn't have been fair."

"I would have been in the way, you mean." Harry muttered.

"No! Not at all." Lily denied, and Harry scoffed.

"Still doesn't explain why you gave me to muggles."

"Like I said," James told him strongly, "No one knew who to trust."

"So the man who you personally sworn in as my Godfather, with a permanent magical bond, wasn't to be trusted?" Harry offered and James glared at the indirect mention of Sirius.

"Dumbledore said it would be best if you were to grow up away from the wizarding world so you knew humility." James admitted, and Harry stiffened. He turned to look at James, his green eyes burning as his face seemed to turn to marble. There was more to that sentence that what met the eye, and Merlin had taught him all about the life he would have led should he have actually been raised by the muggles. He would need to know due to the memories implanted. Merlin had chosen to implant the events of the deviated timeline to make them fully take to the woman's mind; it was always easier to alter someone's memory if you were changing it to something they would actually do, rather than something you were making up completely; outside sources would spot the inconsistencies. And it was all because of an old man's games.

"You mean to tell me that you subjected me to ten years of muggle hell because of an old man who likes to play with people's lives?" Harry said, his voice icy.

"It wouldn't have been that bad." James brushed off, "Sure Petunia isn't the nicest of people, but she we did tell her to take care of you."

"Did you check up on me at all to make sure?" Harry asked, already knowing the answer. "Of course you didn't, too busy living your fame-hungry perfect lives. Parading yourself to the media and portraying the perfect family. You disgust me."

"Watch your mouth!" James ordered and Harry sneered.

"You think everything was perfect living with a magic hating muggle?" Harry wondered, "Why don't you ask your wife how perfect it was? After all, she is also a freak."

As he expected, Lily flinched violently at the word.

"Oh, Harry." She whispered.

"Save it," He snapped. They fell in to a tense silence, and Harry wished he could leave; he saw no point of being there at all.

"Do you have any other questions?" James asked eventually.

"No."

"Nothing?"

"No."

"Well how about I tell you about the Potter's?" James tried, but it was obvious he was getting annoyed; not that Harry cared.

"If you must." Harry sighed and he was treated to the grand story of the amazing House of Potter; it finished with the great tale of how Rose defeated the Dark Lord.

"We even had book deals." James told him happily and threw Rose a proud look to which she beamed. Harry just sat there emotionless throughout the entire tale.

"That thrilled me, it truly did but can I go now? I have potion notes to make."

James face immediately darkened.

"No you can't, you will make an effort with us, we are trying to include you back in to the family."

"Well maybe you shouldn't have gotten rid of me in the first place." Harry suggested casually. James looked fit to burst but before he could speak Lily did.

"What are you doing in potions?"

"I'm fiddling with the potion I created." Harry told her, seeing no reason not to answer the question.

"That's impossible, your only 11 you couldn't have created a potion, and they take years." Lily said.

"Well I have." Harry confirmed but she shook her head.

"You don't need to lie to get our attention, we love you just as much as Rose."

Harry's brows shot up before he sneered.

"If you show love by getting rid of children then I would shudder to see your hate." He stated coldly, "Besides I do not need to lie, I usually refrain from doing so."

"But it isn't possible for you to have created a potion, don't be silly."

"Why ask if you are going to say I'm lying?" Harry snapped.

"Do not speak to your mother like that." James snarled.

"I don't have a mother." Harry replied in the same tone.

"Go to your room now and think about what you've done wrong."

Harry looked at him incredulously; that was all he had been asking for!

"Gladly,"

James seemed to realise he had given Harry exactly what he wanted, but by that point Harry had already risen gracefully and went to the room he was currently occupying to get on with work he actually wanted to be doing. James came to check on him at dinner and asked if he was ready to apologise, to which Harry responded with "what for". He was told he would be kept there until morning so he could realise his behaviour and Harry shrugged uncaringly. It wasn't much of a punishment for him, when he got hungry he merely called for an elf, who was more than happy to serve the Founder's heir whatever he wished and then settled for bed early. Come Monday morning, he was up, dressed and at breakfast at 6am, reading a book as he ate. Sirius, who ambled in with Moony at seven looked absolutely horrified at Harry's wide awake look.

"Pup, why in the name of Merlin are you doing up and that awake at this unmagical hour?"

"If I would have stayed any longer I feel as if I would have reached the point of no return." He said with a shudder. Moony squeezed his shoulder gently and led his tired mate up to the staff table. Draco was the first to see him when the first years entered the Great Hall and the blond made a direct line to him, making Harry smile in relief at seeing a fellow Snake.

"So, how was it as a whole?" He asked and Harry looked at him seriously.

"Horrific, awful, painful, long, boring, scary and ridiculous."

"Wow,"

"I know."