Chapter 7

Nathan

I woke up a little early to go for a morning run on some trails. These past few days I've made myself remember the layout of the campsite. I finally got the time to run, the other mornings I had to be early for sessions.

There are a lot of kids prepared to learn self defense and see karate this year. I actually needed help from other members to cut my class in half. I'm glad a lot of girls are willing to learn, some of the women are even glad to have a refresher.

I was passing the restrooms when I saw the little kid from the other day at introductions. He was just like Doc, flirting with the ladies. I could tell he was a good kid, I haven't seen him again since.

"Hey kid!" I yelled out. He stop, and turned slowly. His eyes were wide like a baby deer caught between headlights. He glanced around real quick and I frowned.

"Hey, it's okay man. Just wanted to say hello. I remember you from the other day. What's your name?" I asked, he seemed a bit nervous. I saw his eyes look towards a girl. Maybe his friend. She had stickers and glitter on her checks, her hair was a dark blonde brown color or something.

"Um, hi...i-im S." He said hesitantly. S? Okaayy.

"I'm Nathan, it's nice to met you."

He nodded, he looked back at the girl who was observing us closely. She seemed a little upset.

"Are you okay? Is she picking on you or something?" I know little girls tend to be mean and can get away with bullying. He looked like he was scared of her.

"No! That's my sister, she's just waiting on me."

Oh yeah, I remember he said he had sisters. "Oh, sorry. So who are your parents? Maybe I know them." I asked. I I haven't seen these kids before,but their parents are probably Academy.

"Uh, we just have our mom. She's busy." He looked toward the ground. A small frown on his face, this wasn't the happy cheerful kid I saw the other day. Shit. They probably have a shit father like me. I didn't mean to have him think of that. Fuck Nathan! Fix it!!!

"Would you like to go on a jog with me? Your sister can come as well. I was just going to finish around this side of camp and head back." I asked nicely, hope they agree.

"Let me asked my sister." He signed to her from the distance. Okay, these kids know sign. I know she couldn't be deaf, we heard him call his name. Or was that a different sister? I think it's the latter. I wish I knew sign, maybe I should have Kota start teaching me.

"She told me to go ahead, she's going to head back to the others." His voice was uncertain, like he didn't want to come but also didn't want to hurt my feelings.

"Okay. You don't have to if your busy."

"No, it's fine."

I nodded, "let's go then." We started at a jog and went around the camp I was going through. We ran in comfortable silence. "You want to run this short trail with me? It's probably one mile from here and back."

He said "sure" and we started to run. He kept up with me, not tiring. I was impressed. Half mile in we turned around, "let's make this interesting."

"Okay."

"First one back to the restrooms where we started gets whatever they want. Deal?"

"Deal!" He said, a smirk playing his lips. Confident little dude.

We took off at a sprint and I could hear his steps right behind me, then I couldn't. I was thinking of looking back but I needed to pay attention to the people in front of me. I went around and dodge them.