Day 1

DAY 1

I walked into my first period class, Calculus and I took my usual seat next to Dominic. Dominic has been the only friend I have ever had. He was new to town our freshman year of high school. I never had friends because I thought they only wanted me because of my family status. They always thought it was awesome having a dad who owned a well known international law firm. Anything that brought up my father I always ended up distancing myself from. Dominic was different from the rest; he never cared about the money or family status. He just wanted friendship; he has been my best friend since then.

Now we were in our last week of senior year. I was so glad I had pulled through and was getting ready to leave the house. I applied to many universities and have hoped to be accepted. Our graduation is tomorrow and I couldn’t wait till then. Ever since Dominic found out about the abuse, freshman year, he has been nothing but helpful. He is the one who encouraged me to study so I can have a good life and away from my family.

“Victoria, are you listening?” I heard Dominic say to me.

“Sorry, I’m out of it” I said.

“So what lame excuse are you using this time for that bruise?” he questioned.

“I fell down the stairs” I said.

“Again…” he said disapprovingly.

The next four classes went in a blur; we didn’t do much because we were graduating already. It was lunch time and I went straight to my locker to put away my notebooks, and wait for Dominic; it was our spot where we always met up. I was putting away notebook when a voice startled me.

“Sorry, I was late” Dominic said. I jumped at the sudden sound of his voice. I hadn’t seen him coming.

“Oh my gosh, Dominic! You scared me!” I said slapping his shoulder. We both started laughing at how easy it was to scare me.

“Let’s get you something to eat before you pass out on me”

He led me to our usual table in the cafeteria. We both had our lunches with us because the cafeteria food was awful. We ate our lunch and talked about almost everything. A piece of my mind kept on thinking on what happened last night. Disgust was all I could think.

“You’re blanking out on me again” Dominic said.

“Sorry” I said.

“What’s wrong?”

“Nothing, I’m okay,” I faked a smile and took a bite into my sandwich.

He looked at me mysteriously and continued talking. My mind was shut out from everything he was saying. I only kept replaying the last night in my mind. Then all of a sudden the letter came into my mind. I didn’t know what the letter had meant. Questions raced through my mind.

“Hey Dominic, something happened last night.” I said.

“Other than the usual beating?”

“Yeah”

“I swear sometimes I want to stride over to your house and beat up your dad myself!” He said behind clenched teeth. Trying to forget what my father did later that night, I continued.

“I went to go shower and when I went into my room my window was open, and I found this on my bed.” I handed him the letter to him. His face darkened as he read it.

“Is someone pulling a prank or what is this? Is this for real?” He asked concerned. I shrugged, I had no idea if this was real or a prank.

“Okay just to be on the safe side, lock everything when you go to sleep. If something happens you call me immediately okay?”