Chapter 52 ~ The Tomb

"Merlin, Olivia... Merlin! Olivia! whichever two of you are awake!" Arthur shouts for us.

Merlin and I come running into his room.  Arthur was standing up by his bead and stretching.

"Yes, sire?" Merlin asks

"Are you deaf?" He asks

"No, but I wish I was," I state

Some of Uther's men were digging for treasure under the kingdom, and you could hear the banging throughout the whole castle.

"I want you two to go down there and tell them to stop," Arthur says.

"But they're working under the King's orders," Merlin says

"Yeah. And your working undermine." Arthur says.

"Well, he is. I'm not." I state.

Arthur glares at me then turns and get back in his bed. Merlin and I both sigh then turn around and head down to where the people were working. We get down there, Merlin grabs a torch, and we continue walking. Suddenly, all the working men came running past us, and they were screaming, once they came past all the other men dropped their tools and run too. 

Merlin and I watch them run away. Whatever was down scared the living daylights out of grown men. Merlin and I share a look and walk down the passage where they had come from. We get to an opening is had some tomb in it with a whole bunch of treasure. Merlin climbs through the whole then helps me through. And we hear some sort of whispering coming from the tomb I walk closer and see a blue heart. I try and step closer, but something was blocking my path. I look down and see a body. I stand there in shock.

"Merlin..." I whisper.

"What wrong?" He quickly walks over to me and looks to where I was looking.

The man was on his knees in front of the tomb.

"Hello," Merlin says softly.

The man doesn't answer. Merlin reaches his hand forward and pushes the man back. He falls to his back and his eyes fully black, the white of his eyes were red. And his face... his face was white, and there were black veins on his face. His mouth was open; it looked like he wanted to scream. 

Merlin and I see this and jump back. I grab his arm and pull him back. We run out and fetch Gaius and Gaius gets the king. We were back in the tomb with Gaius. Merlin was kneeling over the dead man.

"How do you think he died?" Merlin asks

I look at Gaius he was staring at the blue heart on the tomb. 

Merlin looks at him "Gaius."

"Hmm" Gaius mumbles

I look at the heart and hear the indistinct whispering. Merlin stands up and looks around.

"Do you know who's tomb it is?" I ask 

"I'm not sure," Gaius replies

"Do you think It might be cursed?" Merlin asks

Gaius steps forward, I look down and see the block Gaius stood on had sunk. I jump forward and push Gaius away. I turn and see an arrow speeding toward me. Luckily Merlin was there he made a plate fly up and block the arrow. I gasp and look around the plate the arrow came from the raven statue. 

I look at Merlin, "Thanks for that."

"You saved my life," Gaius says.

"What can I say? all in a days work," I smirk.

Uther comes walking in, and Merlin drops the plate, and it starts rolling. Merlin and I run forward, attempting to grab the plate. It stops at Uther's feet.

"Idiots," Uther says

Merlin steps away, and I quickly walk over to him. 

Arthur came in just behind Uther. 

"Were you born clumsy or do you work at it?"  Arthur asks Merlin as he walks past.

"It's just one of my many gifts." Merlin smiles.

"Well, this is quite a find. You see, Gaius. I was right." Uther says "There is treasure to be found under Camelot." Uther was looking through the treasure "Which of my predecessors do I have to thank for all this?" Uther walks to the blue heart. "Gaius."

"I would have to look into it, sire," Gaius replies

Uther looks at the dead man. "How did he die?" 

"He seems to have unwittingly triggered a trap. Here." Gaius explains.

"To deter grave robbers," Arthur says.

"Well, there's plenty in here people would want to steal." Uther states "Have them secure the tomb. Guarding it is your responsibility, Arthur." 

"Yes, father," Arthur says

The next day Arthur, Merlin and I were going out hunting. Merlin and I were walking down the stairs.

"Hurry up, Merlin," Arthur says

Merlin jogs down the stairs and goes onto his hands and knees. Arthur climbs onto Merlin's back and then climbs on his horse. 

"Would it kill you to get on yourself?" I ask

Just then, Arthur's saddle goes loose, and Arthur falls off.  His horse runs away.

"You see that's just karma,"  I say walking over to my horse.

Arthur shoots me a glare.

"Hey, its the truth." I say

"Merlin!" Arthur shouts as he gets up.

"I don't understand," Merlin says.

"Well, there's a surprise," Arthur says angrily.

"I did that girth up myself" Merlin states.

"I think that might've been the problem," Arthur says

"It wasn't his fault," I say, turning away from my horse to look at them.

A man comes back with Arthur's horse "Do you want me to fit the girth properly for you, sire?"

I hand my horse to a guard and walk over to Merlin. 

"Thank you," Arthur says, fixing his jacket.

"It is an honour to be of service to the Prince." The man says.

Arthur looks at us "An honour. Merlin, Olivia, do you hear that?" 

The man walks forward "Allow me the honour to brush down your clothes." 

"The honour." Arthur mouths at us.

"Anything else, I can do for you sire." The man asks

"You can give Merlin here a kick up the backside," Arthur says

The man chuckles. "I wouldn't wish to deprive you  of the pleasure, sir."

Arthur smiles "What's your name." 

"Cedric." He replies "I've come to Camelot in search of work." 

"Good, you can be a beater on the hunt, we're short of a man or two," Arthur says

"You're too kind, sire,"  Cedric calls. 

Merlin grabs a beater. "Here, you'll need a beater."  He hits it into Cedric's stomach "Oh, sorry." 

Merlin walks away to his horse. I chuckle and walk back to my horse. I climb on and follow everyone out into the forest.