Chapter 80 ~ Duel with Morgause

The next day Merlin and I were standing with Arthur. Merlin was helping him get ready.

"You gave her a chance to withdraw. Whatever happens, you are not to blame." Merlin says as he tied the last bit of Arthur's armour on.

We walk out of the room and out to the arena. Arthur walks into the arena, and everyone cheers. Merlin and I walk over to Gaius. Arthur walks to the middle and stops next to Morgause. Uther stands up.

"The fight is by the knight's rules and to the death," Uther says; he sits back down on his chair.

He says something to her I can't hear what he was saying, but I'm sure he was asking her to withdraw. She looks at him. Arthur turns away, he puts his helmet on and swings his sword. They both go into a stance, ready to fight. They stand there for a while; Morgause launches forward, Arthur blocks all her blows. They walk around Morgause spins around and hits Arthur sword. Arthur swings at her stomach, Morgause jumps back. Arthur kept hitting her sword; she eventually drops it. The crowd gasps. Arthur steps back and gestures for her to pick up her sword. The crowd applauds at Arthur's chivalry. Morgause picks up her sword. They begin fighting again. Arthur pushes her up against the barrier; he swings his sword down, but Morgause spins away. She hits Arthur in the leg, Arthur falls, and his helmet falls off as he hits the ground. Arthur tries to get up, but Morgause rushes forward and holds the sword to his chest. I gasp and grabs Merlin's hand. Arthur lies flat down onto the ground. She takes her helmet off; she was saying something to Arthur. He says something back, and Morgause lifts the sword off his chest; she holds her hand out to him, Arthur grabs it, and she pulls him up. Morgause walks in front of the king. Uther stands up; she nods her head at him and walks away. She walks past us, and Gaius follows her to her room. I look at Arthur, and he looks so embarrassed; he looks at his father, but Uther walks away. 

Arthur walks out of the arena and heads to his chambers. Merlin and I quickly walk after him. 

He had his head down on the table, and Merlin was busy taking off his armour.

"It could have been worse," Merlin says

"How exactly could it have been worse?" Arthur asks

"Oh, I don't know. You could be dead." I say 

"At least I wouldn't have to face everyone. I've never felt so humiliated in my entire life." Arthur says, "I was defeated by a girl," He says the last part with such sarcasm

"Well, I found it quite funny," I say. "At least she dented some of that big ego of yours."

"Yeah, it is quite funny when you think about it," Merlin smiles.

Arthur glares at Merlin.

"Or not," Merlin says quickly.

Arthur sits up. "No. It's like you said. I was hindered because I was fighting a woman. I was worried I was going to hurt her. That's why she won." 

"Why is it so hard to believe that a woman can beat you?" I ask 

"You didn't look hindered," Merlin says.

Arthur glares at me, then at Merlin.

"We'll stop talking now." Merlin states

"You didn't answer me," I complain.

Arthur gives me a look.

"Sorry," I say.

A while later, Merlin and I were heading back into Arthur's room with laundry. There are two guards outside of Arthur's room. Merlin and I stop and look at the guards; they don't say anything, so we walk in.