Chapter 86 ~ The beast

I walk into the main area of the chambers and see my brother packing.

"What are you doing?" I ask 

Merlin quickly hides the bag.

"Nothing," He replies.

"You were packing..." I say 

Before he could answer, Gaius walks in.

"Gaius, we were just..." Merlin says.

"Merlin, Olivia, sit down. I need to talk to you." Gaius says.

"Is something wrong? You look worried." I say 

Merlin and I sit down, Gauis sits down next to us.

"The beast struck again last night. Two more deaths in the lower town. Again, no tracks by the bodies, but human footprints were leading away from them."  Gaius says.

"Right," Merlin says.

"It doesn't seem to add up. The footprints indicate that a human is responsible, but the wounds inflicted are definitely the work of a beast." Gaius says.

"Strange", Merlin says.

"Yes," Gaius nods. "Until I remembered what Halig said about the Druid girl. That she's cursed." 

"Well, what does that have to do with the beast?" I ask

"Ancient chronicles speak of a heinous curse," Gaius replies. "It dooms its victim to turn at the stroke of midnight into a vicious and bloodthirsty beast. The writers of old called this creature a Bastet, a monster of nightmare that inhabits the twilight world between the living and the dead."

"That's not terrifying at all," I say.

Merlin looks at the floor.

"Merlin, Liv, I want the truth. Did you release the Druid girl from the cage?" Gaius asks

"Of course not!" Merlin says.

I look at him then back at Gaius "No." 

"There was a time when you two thought twice before lying to me," Gaius says. 

Merlin looks at Gaius. "We did what was right." 

"You know the creature and the girl are one and the same." Gaius states.

"You're wrong!" Merlin snaps, "Freya is just a girl."

"Merlin, please think about what I'm saying. You know it is the truth. Where is she now?" Gaius asks

"No." Merlin shakes his head.

"She's already killed and she'll kill again. She can't stop herself." Gaius says

"Please, Gaius." Merlin says

He looks like he was about to start crying.

Gaius stands up and walks toward the door.

"Where are you going?" I ask 

"To Uther" Gaius says

Merlin stands "I'm begging you. Just give me some time to get her out of the city. Please"

"I'm sorry. I can't let more innocent people die." Gaius says with that he walks out the door.

Merlin stares at the door, then he grabs his bag.

"Merlin, What are you doing?" I ask 

"I'm leaving... with Freya." Merlin replies.

"What... you're leaving, and were you just going to go without another word to me?" I ask

"I don't have time for this. I'm sorry, Liv." He turns and runs out the door.

Wow, Merlin should win brother of the year award. I turn and walk into our room. 

Not long after Merlin ran off on me he walks in he looks absolutely destroyed. He climbs onto his bed and lies on his side.

I sit up and look at him "What's wrong with you?" I ask 

"Freya's gone" Merlin replies.

"I'm sorry, Mer." 

I get up and walk over to him. He moves over, I lie down next to him, he puts his head on my shoulder.

Gaius walks into the room "I had no choice, Merlin. Uther, had to be told." 

"They won't find her. She's gone." Merlin says bluntly.

"I'm sorry." Gaius says.

Gaius sits down by our feet. "I understand how you must feel, Merlin."

"You could never understand." Merlin looks at Gaius "Do you know how it feels to be a monster? To be afraid of who you are?"

 "Freya is very different from the two of you." Gaius says "She's dangerous."

Merlin lifts his head "Whatever she is, whatever she's done, she doesn't deserve to die." Merlin puts his head back my pillow "I just hope she's safe somewhere far away."

Suddenly the warning bells start going off. I look at Merlin and he was already getting up. I jump off his bed, grab my cloak and follow him.

Merlin and I run outside to the lower town.

"Stop!" A guard shouts

Merlin and I follow the noise of the guards shouting. We hear noises coming from the courtyard. 

We get to the courtyard and see a lot of knights and guards surrounding what looks like a panther with wings. The panther which was Freya, growls viciously at the guards. She sees Merlin then stops. Arthur comes up behind the men and moves to the front. The men start advancing on Freya. She backs away to the wall. Merlin was looking around I see him look up at something.

Suddenly a gargoyle head collapses and almost crushes Arthur, luckily he jumped out of the way. I hit Merlin on the shoulder.

"You almost killed Arthur" I hiss

"Almost." He whispers

 Freya takes her opportunity she jumps up into the air and flies toward the lower town. Merlin sprints after her. I glance over to Arthur to make sure he was alright, before I turn and run after Merlin and Freya. I follow Merlin to the tunnel where we hid Freya the night we rescued her. Merlin grabs a torch and lights it. We walk around the corner cautiously and see Freya still in her panther form.

"Go," I whsiper.

I take the torch from Merlin and he slowly walks toward Freya.

He puts his hand out, she growls.

"You're alright, you're safe now" He slowly walks closer and puts a hand on her head.

Once his hand was there she completely calmed down. Suddenly she shakes Merlin's hand off and starts limping away from us, Merlin looks at her worriedly.

"Where is she going?" I ask 

"I don't know" Merlin replies.

I hand the torch back to Merlin and we rush down the path Freya went, we lost her but it was easy to follow the noises of the howling panther. We walk down some steps and I hear some really creepy screaming, we walk around the corner and I hear Freya crying. I see her legs, she was lying next to the dress Merlin, had stolen from Morgana's chambers. Atleast I know my brother isn't a weirdo he had gotten it for Freya. 

"Wait here" I whisper. 

I unclip my cloak and walk forward, I cover Freya with my cloak. She was losing a lot of blood, Arthur had stabbed her when she was a panther.

I nod at Merlin and he walks over to us.