Chapter 58 ~ Dinner with Arthur

I walk back into Gwen's house and see Arthur standing next to the table and two plates with food. Maybe I underestimated Arthur.

"Olivia, perfect timing," Arthur says cheerfully.

I smile and walk over to him he pulls the chair out, and I sit down.

"Thank you."

I begin eating once Arthur sits down.

"This is, delicious," I say

"I'm glad you like it." Arthur smiles "So, do I have any more annoying habits you want to tell me about?"

"Nope, none at all," I say drinking some water from my goblet.

"There's something else, isn't there?"

I just look at my plate.

"What is it?" He asks

"Well... you snore," I reply

Arthur looks shocked "I do not."

"Yeah, you do" I laugh "The first night you were here, Gwen, and I thought a pig had gotten into the house."

"So now I'm a pig. Thank you, Olivia."

"No you aren't one, you just sound like one."

Arthur looks hurt "How is that better?"

"I think I'm just gonna stop talking" I grab my plate and start to stand up.

"I'll do that." Arthur stands up and grabs the plate.

I look at the bottom of the plates "Where'd you get those plates?"

I stand up and walk to Arthur.

"From the cupboard." He says

I grab one of the plates "It has the royal seal, you got these from the palace kitchens. I've seen my brother carry enough of them to you to know. I take it, that's where our dinner came from."

Arthur rubs his eyes and walks away. "I can kill a chicken from a 1000 paces just don't ask me to cook it. That's what servants are for..." He looks at me. "I didn't mean it like that."

"My brother is a servant, and you treat me like one I'm not ashamed. At least I am not a liar."

"We had a nice meal together. What does it matter where it came from."

I step forward, so I was standing in front of him "Because I thought you showed some humility. I thought you did something nice for me even though I'm just a peasant. A good king should respect everyone no matter who they are!"

I turn and try and walk away from him.

"Olivia" He grabs my arm.

I turn and face him again.

"I know I have much to learn."

Arthur still held my arm.

"There are some things that I am terrible at, cooking being one of them," Arthur looks away "But also knowing what to say to someone I care about" He looks back into my eyes.

We both look into each other's eyes. Suddenly Merlin bursts into the kitchen. I jump back from Arthur.

"Arthur, there's an assassin in Camelot," Merlin says closing the door behind him. "He's here to kill you."

Arthur began pacing while Merlin explained everything he heard. My mind began to wonder I was thinking about where Gwen was. I hadn't seen her in a while.

"The assassin killed a guard. Your father said Odin had sent him." Merlin explains

"Why would Odin send an assassin?" I ask

Arthur slowly turns to look at us "Cause I killed his son. Odin's son challenged me to a fight I had no quarrel with him. I asked him to withdraw. Perhaps he felt he had to prove himself. I still see his face. He looked so scared."

"It is not your fault," I say, stepping forward.

"No one, but for us, and Gwen knows where you are," Merlin says "If the assassin can't find you, he can't kill you."

Arthur looks at me "Can I continue to stay here?"

"I'm sure Gwen won't mind," I say

"Thank you."

"I'll sleep on the floor tonight."

"No, sleep in Gwen's bed I'm fine." I say "You need to rest for tomorrow."

"I will not hear of it. Good night, Olivia."

"Good night."

Merlin follows Arthur to the bags that I was sleeping on. I smile and walk to Gwen's bed.

The next day I was standing by Arthur while he put his cape on.

"One more match and the tournament will be over," Arthur says.

"You can go back to being Prince Arthur."

Arthur nods and smiles.

I look down at the floor "Uhm..." I look back at him "Please be careful."

"I will,"

I look at him, and I smile.

Suddenly Arthur leans forward, placing his soft lips against mine. Time seemed stop when his lips met mine, but the sparks only intensified. My heart pounded in my chest as I felt my knees get weaker and my body full with electricity.

Before I knew It, he pulled away. I stare into his ocean blue eyes. He stands up straight again and looks away.

He looks back at me. "I must go."

He rushes out the door. I stand there in shock, had that actually just happened? I snap back into reality and run out the door. I get to the jousting arena, in time to see Arthur and the other knight charge. The other knight hits Arthur he falls back and luckily stays on his horse. Arthur sits up and cradles his side. Something was wrong. I run to Arthur and help him down from his horse. I let him lean on my shoulder and help him into the tent.

"His... lance pierced my armour," Arthur says sitting down.

"You're losing to much blood," I say nervously.

"Do what you can." Arthur says "I must return in 5 minutes, or I forfeit the match."

I grab a piece of cloth and try to stop the bleeding "You can't! You're to badly injured."

Arthur chuckles "I have never withdrawn from a match. I do not intend to start now."

"You would risk your life just to protect your pride?" I say with tears in my eyes "You have nothing to prove, least of all, to me."

He smiles and looks at me "I have everything to prove... to myself."

He nods at the farmer. The farmer walks forward and give the helmet to Arthur; he puts it on with difficulty. Arthur walks out of the tent with me behind him.