Chapter 21~ Morgana

It was a new day at Camelot and quite frankly it wasn't a good start to the day, Morgana was sick. Gaius was called to her chambers in the morning to try and help. Merlin Gwen and I were waiting for Gaius downstairs from her chambers. 

"What do you think's wrong with her?" I ask.

"I don't know, Liv" Merlin replies.

Just as Merlin answered me, Gaius came down the stairs. Gwen runs to Gaius.

"Is she any better?" Gwen asks.

Gaius shakes his head. Gwen pushes past Gaius and runs to Morgana's chambers. Gaius walks down to Merlin and me.

"She's all but dead," Gaius sighs.

Merlin shakes his head, "No you're gonna cure her, you have to," 

"Don't you start. I've tried everything," Gaius sighs

"I was wondering,  maybe we could.." Merlin begins then stops because someone walks past.

Merlin coughs "Help"

"Yeah, I mean no one would know we could just slip in and you can take the credit," I smile.

"If you are suggesting, magic-- have you two forgotten what happened with Gwen's father?" Gaius scolds "This is not a magical illness, it must be cured by conventional means." Gaius states. "We keep trying, see if you two can find me some fresh, rosemary,"

"There must be something more we can do," I sulk

"And yarrow," Gaius says.

That night I was with Merlin in Arthurs chambers, Arthur was sitting on a chair I was leaning on his table and Merlin was pacing up and down which was stressing me out.

"It's gonna be alright," Merlin paces "It is I know it is, she's going to be absolutely--"

Arthur cuts him off "Merlin!"

"What?" Merlin asks

"You're making me anxious," he scolds.

"Yeah, that makes two of us, please stop," I say.

"But I'm not worried," Merlin begins pacing again.

"Then stop pacing," Arthur and I say.

Merlin looks at us then sits down. Arthur and I watch him sit down, then we go back to silence. Two seconds later Merlin begins tapping his fingers on the table. Just as Merlin does the Arthur gets up and begins pacing.

"Just because you're doing it now doesn't make me any less anxious," I state.

"Well, I'm worried so I'm allowed to be pacing." He says.

"It's going to be okay, I know it is," I say to him reassuringly

He looks at me and smiles "Thanks,"

~The next day~

Was even busier Morgana was dying and there was nothing we could do, Gaius had told us that Arthur met someone who claimed to have a remedy to cure all ills, Uther got so desperate that he is actually having a meeting with him now. Merlin and I being the sneaky people we are. Went to one of the doors leading in. I see Arthur and Uther standing in front of a man, he had ginger hair, brown eyes, and half of his face was covered in burn marks. Merlin and I were standing just in the doorway. 

"Do you really believe you have a remedy?" Uther asks 

I look at Arthur and see him look back to where we are he gives us a puzzled look then just looks back to the man.

"There are not many ills that I have not seen, and successfully treated sire," The man says.  "So when I heard of Lady Morgana's sickness, I felt honor-bound to offer my services." 

Merlin and I had stepped forward and was standing behind a pillar.

"You say you have a cure for all ills; an antidote for anything?" Gaius asks

Man looks back at Gaius then at the floor "Yes, although it is not quite as simple as that."

"Gaius is the court physician." Uther sits down on his throne."

The man turns to Gaius, "You are indeed a legend, sir. I am delighted to meet you."

The man turns back to Uther, "I am curious to know what it is that has affected her,"

"An infection of the brain," Gaius replies.

"And your treatment?" The man asks.

"Yarrow..." Gaius says.

"Yes yes," The man nods

"...Rosemary to stimulate cerebral circulation..." Gaius continues.

"Interesting," The man says.

"Why?" Arthur asks "What would you suggest?"

"No-no-no. No-no-no." The man says. "That is all fine-- all good. If that is the right diagnosis."

I whisper to Merlin "Who does this guy think he is?"  

Merlin shrugs.

Uther gets up and walks forward "What would your diagnosis be?"  He hands a piece of paper to the man.

"Well..." He sighs "Without examining the patient..."

Arthur looks at Uther then at the man  "You should examine her."

"I would need my equipment," The man states.

Uther turns and sits back on his throne "Of course. You'll have use of one of the guest chambers,"

At this point, Merlin and I were standing where we could be seen. No one said anything so we assumed it was fine.

Arthur turned to look at us "You can consider my manservant at your disposal." 

"And the girl?" the man asks.

Arthur turns and looks at me, "She is at your disposal too,"

I glare at Arthur he had no right to put me at someone's disposal I was not his servant.

"I will start work immediately" the man bows and walks out of the room.

Merlin and I later found out the man's name was Edwin, we helped him shuttle his stuff to one of the guest chambers. Merlin and I look at Edwin's stuff it was... strange.

Edwin looks at us. "Yes...  It was all originally designed for Alchemy." 

"Making gold," Merlin states.

"You have an interest in science?" Edwin asks

" Science is Knowledge" Merlin smiles.

"It has the answer to everything," Edwin says.

"Maybe," I say.

"It can't explain love," Merlin says.

"Ha. So you are in love?" Edwin asks.

"No." Merlin laughs 

"He means feelings, emotions that stuff," I say 

Edwin looks at us "You two seem too bright to be servants," 

"Don't be fooled we aren't that bright," Merlin laughs.

Merlin picks up a box and it rattles. Edwin quickly grabs the box.

"Yes, we will need that," He says "Now we must get to the Lady Morgana before it is too late," 

Merlin and I grab the stuff he needs and walk out the door after him.