Chapter 9~ The sickness

It was a few days after the tournament.  Gaius was called upon because someone found a dead body in the city, Merlin and I decided to go with and see if we could help Gaius with anything. Once we got to the body Gaius knelt down to examine it he was touching the hand which looked like a bluey white color which kinda freaked me out.

"Aren't you scared?" Merlin asks 

"Of what?" Gaius asks looking up at Merlin. 

"That you might catch whatever it is?" He says to Gaius 

"Yeah I mean what if it's contagious then if you die we will have no one to cure the disease. Then everyone is going to get sick and we'll all die." I blurt out.

"Woah that was a whole bunch of words, you feel better now?" Merlin asks.

"Yes... yes, I do." I smile

"I'm the court physician it's part of my job." Gauis says looking at the body again. "and most of the time there's nothing really to be scared of."

Gauis flips the body over and it was terrifying his eyes were white and blue and his face with so white he looked like a ghost. I turn into Merlin's arms I couldn't bear to see it I feel Merlin wrap his arm around me. Gaius and Merlin's exchanging worried looks.

"You were saying," Merlin says to Gauis 

I slowly turn out of Merlin's side and look down again, Merlin's arm was still wrapped around me though.

"The people mustn't see this. They'll panic." Gaius says 

Merlin quickly lets go of me and grabs a blanket that was hanging up outside a house and uses it to cover the body.

Gaius Merlin and I started heading back to the castle with the body in a cart when suddenly Gwen appears behind us.

"What are you doing?" She asks cheerfully.

Merlin quickly lets go of the cart and walks over to Gwen and stands in front of her. "Uh uh moving something." 

She peers around Merlin "Looks heavy."

"No, it's nothing really." Merlin says "Uh, someone got you flowers?"

"Oh no." She giggles then there was a pause of silence "Would you like one! a purple one" she exclaims handing the flower to Merlin. "Purple suits you" she smiles

Merlin smiles and begins to walk away 

"Not that red doesn't suit you." she blurts out

Merlin turns to look at her. "Thanks well uh." He puts the flower on his bandana thing that's around his neck. 

They both smile awkwardly.

"uh see ya." Merlin quickly turns around and grabs the cart again.

"Bye..." Gwen says 

"Smooth," I whisper to Merlin

"Oh shut up," Merlin whispers sharply.

When we got back to Gaius' chambers Merlin helped Gaius put the body on a table so Gaius could see it properly.

"I've never seen anything like this before," Gauis says looking at the body with a magnifying glass.

"Do you think it could be some kind of plague," Merlin asks.

"No, I fear that something like this could never come from nature," Gaius says still looking at the body. "But who has this kind of power." 

"Wait are you saying this is magic?" I ask 

Before Gaius could answer I hear a very familiar shout.