Chapter 57 ~ Jousting tournament

Gwen and I were sitting on the stands all the knights lined up in front of Uther, and he stands.

"Knights of the realm, welcome to Camelot. You have trained for this day for many years.  Today you will put your skill to the test. Today you will fight for glory and honour. For this is the ultimate test of our courage, and it will be your measure as men. For only the most skilful, the most fearless among you..." Uther says

Gwen and I held in a chuckle because the farmer's horse kept moving and shaking its head.

"... Will emerge as a worthy champion." Uther continues.

Everyone applauds. All the horses left the arena than one came out and the supposed Sir William which was actually Arthur. Everyone applauded as they came in. The person with the flag waved it then ran out the way. Both the horses charge forward. Arthur hits the other knight causing him to fall off his horse. Everyone jumps up and cheers for 'William' 

A lot of knights came and gone but I only really concentrated when Arthur came.

Again he won and dismounted another rider, but this knight got caught on his horse's saddle and got dragged along as it kept running. We applaud.

That night I grabbed Arthur's plate and scraped his leftovers into the bowl. I had told Gwen to stay in my bed that night. It turns out she didn't have an actual bed, and I got a more comfortable place.

"I hear, the ladies of the court are quite impressed with Sir William. They think he's very handsome." I say 

Arthur rolls his eyes "Typical. They wouldn't know a real knight If he whacked them 'round the head with his lance." 

I smile at him.

I turn and look at him "Why are you doing this? I thought you liked all this title pish posh stuff." 

"Well, I don't want people to respect me just because of my title," Arthur says.

"I don't think that's true with everyone," I say 

"Would you tell me if it were?" Arthur asks

"Yes..."

Arthur gives me a look.

"Okay no."

"When I'm competing as William, my title doesn't matter. Nobody gives me any special treatment. So when I win this tournament, if  I win this tournament, It will be because I deserve it. not because I'm Prince Arthur." 

Arthur and I look in each other's eyes for a while. 

He stands up "I think I'll take a bath." 

"That might be a tad difficult. Gwen doesn't have a bathtub." 

"Really?" 

I nod.

"Perhaps you could prepare me a bowl of hot water. I take it she has a bowl?" 

"I think she has a bowl" I snap "Should I just get you some water up by the well?"

Arthur ignores me. I glare at him and grab my cloak then walk out the door.

"And he says knights aren't arrogant; he's such a-- a... a clot pole!"  

"Wow he really has driven me to madness, I am talking to myself." 

I come back from the well, heat the water and pour it into a bowl.

"Your bowl!" I snap

"Took you long enough."

After Arthur washes up, he goes to sleep, and I go back into my bed of bags.

I woke up early the next morning and head to Gaius chambers and met up with Gaius.