Chapter 84 ~ Bounty Hunter

Gaius, Merlin and I were out in the lower town. Gaius was helping a wife with his sick husband. He finishes with the man and walks over to us. Merlin helps him into his jacket.

"If he's not better in the morning, let me know," Gaius says.

We walk out of the house and past an empty cage in the road. I am walking next to Merlin; he was closest to the cage. Suddenly there is a rattling in the cage, and a girl pushes up to the side of the cage by Merlin and me. We jump and back away from the cage toward Gaius.

"Gaius!" Merlin says

He turns and looks to the cage. "She was caught by a bounty hunter." 

"But, she's only a girl!" I say.

"She'll still fetch a good price." Gaius states.

"Somone's gonna pay for her?" Merlin asks

"Uther offers a big reward for anyone with magic." Gaius turns and continues walking.

"There must be something we can do," I say   

"Merlin, Olivia. Bounty hunters are dangerous men not to be meddled with. You two of all people should understand that." Gaius walks away.

I look back at the girl and see her staring at something. I follow her gaze and see her and Merlin were looking at each other. Merlin and I follow Gaius back to the chambers. We head back into our rooms. 

"I can't stop thinking about the girl," I say 

"Me neither," Merlin walks to the door.

"We are going to save her, aren't we?" I ask 

"You know me so well,"Merlin replies.

We sneak past Gaius, he starts coughing, and we freeze. Gaius stops moving, and we quickly walk out the door. We head down to the lower town where the girl was. Merlin peeks his head into the inn. He comes back to me.

"All clear." He says.

He runs back to me by the cage.

"Don't worry, we're not going to hurt you." Merlin says

I walk over to the cage's door. "Tospringe" 

The lock unlocks itself and the door swings open. Merlin jumps into the cage, the girl backs away to the corner.

Merlin holds his hand out slowly to the shackles on her arm "Unspanne thas maegth!" 

The cuffs come off her arm. Merlin jumps down out of the cage he helps her down. The door to the inn opens, Merlin grabs her hand and we duck down behind the other side of the cage. The bounty hunters walks around and looks around trying to see if he can find the girl.

The bounty hunters walks under the inn sign.

"Ic bebeod this giesterntacen feollon." I whisper.

The inn sign falls and hits the man on his head. 

"Go" I whisper.

Merlin and the girl run forward with me behind them. We run toward the palace but some guards where patrolling the road ahead. I turn around and see the bounty hunter getting up. I grab Merlin and we duck into a passage.

"Bryne" I say.

The torch lights up. I lead them further into the passage. We get deep into the tunnels and stop.

"He won't find you here." Merlin says. 

Merlin takes off his jacket "Here"

He tries to put the jacket on her, she gasps and flinches.