Chapter 10 ~ Gwen's Father

"We really need to hide that book!" Gaius scolds 

"No, we should use it!" I say

"Don't be stupid," Gaius says

"If we have this legacy, then what is it for?" Merlin argues "You keep telling us it's not for playing tricks,"

"You two want to practice magic when the king is searching for sorcerers? Are you mad!?" Gaius asks.

Merlin looked very irritated.

"Guys, your lives are worth more important things," Gaius says to us.

"But if we don't practice, then how will we get to be this great witch and warlock?" Merlins asks Gaius.

"There will come a time when your twos skills will be recognized," Gaius says calmly.

"When?" I ask "How long do we have to wait!?" 

"Patience is a virtue," Gaius says getting irritated.

"What? sitting by and doing nothing is a virtue?" I ask 

"Your time will come!" Gaius says pointing his spoon at me.

"Hey, don't point that spoon at me!" I say pushing the spoon away.

 "Listen,  I know it's tempting to use what you two find easiest."

"It is when it could save someone's life!" I shout

"It isn't any good just saving one person," Gaius says  "We need to find how this illness is spreading," 

"Arthur is out there right now. Looking for the sorcerer!" Merlin shouts while pointing towards the door.

"A sorcerer who is powerful enough to do this will never be found searching the town!" Gaius shouts back. 

Merlin sighs "So what can we do?" 

"Hope that science can find the answer before it kills us all," Gaius says.

Gaius was still working with the man's stomach juice or whatever which was disgusting, I don't know how he does it.

A little while later we could hear bells ringing a lot of new people have died from the illness all we know was that it spreads fast and is deadly. Gaius just got a new victim to the illness and we were examining it.

"What's different about this victim?" Gaius asks

"Um, she's a woman," Merlin states

"Sometimes I wonder if your magical talents were given to the right person. Anything else?" He asks

"She's a courtier." I notice 

"Ah" Gaius smiles

"But how does that help us?" Merlin asks

"Courtiers seldom go down to the lower town," Gaius explains "So what does that mean?"

"Um..." Merlin thinks "She hasn't spoken to any townspeople," 

"Yes... it suggests that the disease is not spread by contact" Gaius says.

"They probably eat different food," Merlin realizes.

"Good, what else?" Gaius asks

"I doubt they share the same air," Merlin states.

"So what's the one thing they do share," Gaius asks 

"Water!" I blurt out 

"yes" Gaius smiles

"You think the disease is spread by water?" Merlin asks.