Chapter 55 ~ Cornelius Sigan

Merlin and I get outside and see Arthur lying on the floor hopefully unconscious. The creature was flying down at him. It was about to kill him. I was not going to let him die.

"Astrice!" I hold my hand at the creature.

The creature explodes into pieces some of them barely miss Arthur. I sprint to Arthur and kneel next to him. I look at him luckily he moves his head and groans. I sigh out of relief.

"Thank, goodness," I say 

"Who would've believed it. The two of you, sorcerers. And powerful ones. " It was Cedric... well more like Sigan. 

He was dressed in a black with feathers on the which I assumed to be raven feathers because he was known as the 'Raven lord'.  His hair was combed down neatly but his voice was different... deeper almost.

"I won't let you hurt him!" I shout

"And you're going to stop me?" He asks

Merlin stands up "No, I'll stop you."

"He does not deserve your loyalty, either of you. He treats you like slaves" Sigan states

"That's not true," Merlin says.

"He cast you aside without a moment's thought," Sigan says

"That doesn't matter," Merlin says.

"But, it must hurt so much," Sigan says.

"Merlin, don't listen to him!" I call. "He's trying to get into your head." 

"To be so put upon, so overlooked, when all the while you have such power."  Sigan continues

"That's the way it has to be!" Merlin shouts.

"Does it?" Sigan asks "You're young, Merlin. Look inside yourself, you've yet to discover your true power. I can help you... Both of you." Sigan looks at me "Think, Merlin, to have the world appreciate your greatness. To have  Arthur know you both for what you are" 

Merlin shakes his head "That can never be."

I was proud of my brother for not listening to Sigan as much as he's trying to influence Merlin. It wasn't working.

"It can. If you join me. Together we can rule over this land. Arthur will tremble at your voice. He will kneel at your feet." Sigan says

I get up from Arthur's side and go to Merlin.

"Now why, would we want that? We are loyal to Arthur and will never! serve to the likes of you!" I state.

"I don't want that," Merlin says

"You'd rather be a servant?" Sigan asks

"Better to serve a good man than to rule with an evil one," Merlin says

Sigan inhales "So be it. If you will not join me, I will become you and your power will be harnessed to my will."

"Liv, move," Merlin says

"Not gonna argue." I go backwards until I'm by Arthur again.

Sigan starts gasping and falls to the ground, blue smoke emerges from Cedric's mouth it begins floating toward Merlin. Sigan's soul was now by Merlin's feet he looks down, then looks up and begins chanting the spell. 

"Ic thin sawol her beluce, abide thaet" The soul began going into Merlin  "ic the alyse."

The soul went fully into Merlin, I hold my breath. Merlin falls to his knees then onto his shoulder. I run over to him, he begins shaking.

"Merlin, Merlin!" I say

I hear a raven cawing, then Merlin's eyes went black. He closes his eyes again and groans.

"Merlin?" 

He opens his eyes and they were back to normal. 

"Merlin is that you?" I ask 

"Did I do it?" he asks

"Yeah." I smile

I help him onto his knees and hug him. 

I hit him on the shoulder. 

"Ow, what was that for?" he asks

"You scared me"

"I'm sorry" He pulls me into a hug

"Merlin, Olivia?" Gaius calls through the fog

Merlin emerges through the fog. He looked all serious. I then come up behind him and we both smile, Merlin held up the heart that was now blue again.

Gaius smiles and walks to us "Well done, my boy and girl." 

Gaius pulls us into a hug.  Arthur was taken inside and looked after.

The next day the heart was put back where it belonged and the tomb was covered up never to be opened again. 

Merlin and I were sitting at the table while Gaius was dishing up some breakfast for us.

"You know the two of you won't get any thanks," Gaius says

"The usual," I say

"You know we aren't complete idiots," Merlin says

Gaius brings us our food "There you go, it's not much, but you two deserve something."

There was a knock on the door and Arthur walks in. He had a really bad bruise on his eye.

"I've come to see Merlin." Arthur stands on the other side of our table "I have not forgotten about your lazy, insolent ways. Or the fact that you called me a clot pole." 

Gaius and I both give Merlin and confused look.

"But I do have to admit that there was some truth in your accusations against Cedric." Arthur says

Merlin smiles "Does this mean you're admitting that on this occasion I was actually right?" Merlin asks

Arthur looks at the roof "Not exactly, no. It means that I have a knighthood to bestow first thing tomorrow and no one to clean my armour." 

Arthur picks up a bag and empty's it out on the table revealing all of his armour. I quickly grab my food out of the line of the smelly armour.

"Hey! watch it. I don't want your stinky armour all over my food." I say 

Merlin looks at the armour on the table "All that?"

Arthur nods "Yep."

He throws the bag into Merlin's face then turns and walks out the door.

Gaius leans down to Merlin "Clotpole!"

We look at the door then back at each other and burst out laughing