Chapter 18 ~ The first code

The second Merlin and I came through the door to Gaius's chambers, Lancelot was on us.

"Well? Did you speak to him?" He asks

Merlin and I walk in and stop in front of Lancelot

"Yeah, we spoke to him," Merlin replies

"And?"  He asks

"And..." Merlin shakes his head.

Lancelot sighs sadly.

"He said he would like to meet you," Merlin says happily.

"Yes!" Lancelot exclaims.

He looks to Merlin and I "Thank you. Thank you." 

"It's no problem, really. It's nothing." Merlin says smiling

"Yeah, no problem at all," I say 

I elbow Merlin in the side.

He coughs "You're not a nobleman by any chance, are you?"

"A nobleman? No." He looks at himself. "Goodness no. Why do you ask?"

"It's just that--" I begin

"The first code of Camelot states that only those of noble blood can serve as a knight," Gaius says walking over to us. "Uther created the knights to protect this kingdom from those who wished to destroy it." 

I look over to Gaius then at Lancelot, he looks absolutely taken aback his dream just got crushed right there and then.

"He knew he would have to trust each of his knights with his life. So he chose them from the families that had sworn allegiance to him." He states.

"The nobility," Merlin says.

Lancelot slowly sits down on one of the chairs.

"And thus the first code of Camelot was born. And ever since that day only the sons of noble families have served as knights." Gaius sighs

"I'm sorry Lancelot." I sigh 

"That is not fair," Merlin complains

"Fair or unfair, that's the way it is, I'm sorry Lancelot," Gaius says.

Gaius looks at Merlin and I then walks away.

Lancelot sighs and puts his head in his hands. A little later Merlin Lancelot and I all head up to our room. Merlin lights some candles.

"Why do you want to be a knight so much?" Merlin asks.

"When I was a boy my village was attacked by raiders from the Northern Plains. They were slaughtered where they stood... My father, My Mother-- Everyone. I alone escaped. I vowed that day that never again would I be helpless in the face of tyranny. I made swordcraft my life. Every waking hour since that day I devoted to the art of combat. When I was ready, I set forth for Camelot. And now it seems my journey ends. Everything I fought for wasted." He replies sadly.

"I give you my word-- Whatever it takes, I'll make this right," Merlin says

I shoot a glare at Merlin, whatever he was planning I knew I was not going to like it. Before I could ask what he was planning he was out the door off to wherever he was going.

"Imma just... follow him,"  I say to Lancelot

I turn on my heel and run out the door following Merlin. He had grabbed an empty piece of paper and was out of Gaius's chambers.  I sneak out the door behind him and he somehow doesn't notice I'm there.  If I didn't know better Merlin was heading to the library. He walked in and began searching shelves looking for something I tap him on the shoulder.

The Destiny of twoOn viuen les histories. Descobreix ara