A Party Under the Hill

Credit to artist but I don't know who they are so just remember it's someone's, I just love that image so much. (This a chunky chapter so will have more errors until it's edited - sorry!)

Aelin's day had been wonderful. The High Lord and Lady had taken their son to a beauty spot in the mountains of the Night Court, she was pretty sure they had mentioned a waterfall. The warriors in the court were off training, leaving Elain to toddle off into Velaris and spend a day with her friends.

That left the four of them, Aelin, Rowan, Fenrys and Mor. They woke late when everyone else had left the house and the trio wound their way down the stairs.

The Morrigan was lounging on a couch drinking a cup of tea. "There you lot are!"

She tipped her head back and watched them descend while upside down. "Everyone's gone so it's just us until the evening."

Aelin stood over where Mor was lying back, propping her arms on the back of the sofa and peering down at her. The female below her flushed and sat up quickly, sipping her morning tea to skim over the awkward moment.

"Any plans today or are we just going to fight on the lawns again?"

Mor gasped in mock horror, "You fought on Elain's interpretive garden landscape?!"

The wolf leapt up to rest his head on Mor's lap while Rowan snorted, "Is that what she likes to call it?"

The blonde looked guilty, "She's very attached to that- that... um part of the garden."

Aelin raised her eyebrows in response, "I would have called it a patch of grass but sure."

Rowan propped himself on the edge of a chair as Aelin slid onto the couch opposite the other female. "Well?" His voice was still rough with sleep and Aelin had to consciously avoid looking at her mate because she may just drag him back to bed.

"I'll be staying around the house with you, a break from work duties before our next night out later." Mor didn't sound thrilled but was seemed to be looking forward to a relaxing few hours.

Aelin grinned as the other female started rattling through what she'd decided to drag them around that day. A walk through the woods and countryside around the Riverhouse in the morning before lunch at home and an afternoon mixed between the patio and board games in the sun room, to teach them how to stay still and not sprint around the city endagering peoples' lives.

The landscape in the forests was more beautiful from the ground than when Aelin had swung through the trees in the dark.  Rowan looked intrigued by the wildlife and quizzed Mor on edible plants and the biodiversity in the area, while the female looked like she was trying not to laugh at the male's eagerness and confusion Mor still answered all questions with a smile. Aelin found she quite liked her.

When they finally returned to have lunch the four of them had worked out a dynamic, Aelin almost felt like they were visiting an old acquaintance who lived far away from Terrasen and they would travel home soon. She was right in one regard, they were far away from Terrasen. But they had no way home, not yet at least.

The afternoon passed quickly, all of them ended up sprawled over cushions in the sunroom, bathing in the rays. Fenrys was panting softly, his thick coat suited for winter temperatures not a sunny spring day. Elain wasn't due home until she had to look after Devdan, and what she thought was a wolf, who would infact be taking care of himself while sniffing out the house.

Nesta arrived home first and they heard her going to her room, likely to get changed. Cassian's booming wings followed, half falling into the house in a desperate rush to get upstairs. Mor let out a groan of "bastard mates" which caused Aelin to snicker. The female seemed to realise her mistake as she tensed before shrugging into the pillows, "You two are weird mates, everyones so horny here, it's exhausting."