Unsubtle Tension

They spent 20 minutes walking through the bustling streets, the group of them stuck close but spoke often those they passed. Rhys was especially charming and convinced everyone nothing was wrong. Many people came over to wish Mor a happy return, others to flirt with Rowan. Then there were the dozens and dozens of Fae who rushed over to coo at the wolf.

Every time the spymaster tried to step back and leave the wolf to take centre spotlight, the animal would move closer. Those crowding around were careful to leave space around the male however, especially near his back where someone may accidentally brush his wings.

"Is he yours?" A female hummed at Azriel, holding the wolf's gorgeous face in his hands. In response the male simply nodded towards Rowan and Aelin who were chatting to a few drunk Fae about how wine was a wonderful invention.

The group currently petting the dog glanced over, flicking appreciative glances over the couple, who were decked in weapons and looking rather scandalous. They seemed interested, until Rowan bared his teeth and Celaena began flipping knives to impress the other drunks.

Rhys tactfully steered them away before the human woman before she could accidentally chuck a knife at someone instead of catching it. A street later Nesta bumped into a couple of Valkyries and held their entire group up by talking to them for 10 minutes.

The group completely ignored the rest of them, especially the males, in a way that some Valkyrie had done now that they had large numbers. Feyre knew a lot of them had awful experiences with males which had convinced them the only safe people were other females.

Nesta finally said her goodbyes and was the first to march off through the streets. Mor was still clinging to Cassian, complaining her heels were just too tall but also shooting winks at Nesta like she was threatening to steal him.

As if sensing Azriel's growing tense mood, the wolf licked his hand just like Nesta had done earlier. Rhys of course noticed, "Looks like your duties are over Nesta."

The female glanced back and snickered, Cassian imitated the sound causing him to receive a scathing glare that Feyre had been on the wrong side of too many times. Mor bit back a laugh and instead started looking in shop windows, a bit too obvious to look like she was doing anything other than avoiding Nesta's gaze.

Feyre realised they were nearly on the last street before the crowds were completely dispersed. She thought they were out of the woods and could finally get to the important topics, that was until a band of musicians shoved each other towards her and Rhys. The 4 of them were young and looked terrified of the Inner Circle but one of them bravely asked, "I- um we- were hoping to ask about the new performers license... legislation..."

He tailed off uncertainly, eyes flicking between them all like he was about to bolt. Feyre reached out to grab his hand, she shook it gently and beamed. "Forgive us if we're a little bit tipsy but we'd love to!"

She squeezed Rhys's arm in her own and quickly the other 3 band members rushed up and started asking questions and pulling out their papers and documents. The rest of the Inner Circle started a polite conversation in the background so it didn't sound like they were just standing listening.

Celaena and Rowan started murmuring to each other at the very back, the human then seemed to realise something and back to the group.

"Hey Az, do you have any food here that's like a sandwich where 3 sides are covered and the top's open?" Celaena then started babbling about various food products, dragging the spymaster into conversation. He had been standing there awkwardly 4th wheeling Cassian, Mor and Nesta and looked quietly relieved to be included in a conversation. There had been a flicker of confusion in his gaze however, like he wasn't sure why anyone was speaking to him or if he was imagining it.