A Male to be Reckoned With

Aelin watched Rhys carefully from where she stood a few steps behind him, he seemed to half-narrow his eyes on the camp before setting his teeth, spinning on his heel and making his way to a large tent she assumed was for planning meetings. Rowan flanked his other side and Fenrys stayed by her own, seeming determined to be in constant contact with her.

If anyone didn't know better it would be more likely he was her mate with all the fuss he was putting up. However Rowan had coped for a long time by himself, and Fenrys was still struggling with handling everything he had been through. Aelin's husband had never really been too pleased about the other male's dependence on her, yet he let it slide with a few half-pissed looks and sarcastic comments.

With Gavriel's death the two Fae had slowly learned to communicate with each other, straight to each other without another's interference. Other than Aelin's of course, she made it clear to Rowan he had to put up with the still traumatised Fenrys appearing in the middle of the night in wolf form, to lie on the floor by her side of the bed. At least until she had convinced him he was in fact allowed at the foot of the bed itself, and her mate had to allow it or she threatened to chuck him out of the bed or put him in an aviary.

Rhys pushed his way into the tent, deliberately not holding it open for his companions, Rowan caught the flap instead, letting her and Fenrys enter infront of him, before turning his head and giving a last show of his teeth to anyone who may be looking in their direction.

She couldn't suppress her chuckle at that, somebody was certainly enjoying himself.

There was a large table in the centre of the tent, with each seat being taking up twice as much space along the table due to wings, and a place for the leader at the end, making the table relatively wide. Papers covered the entirety of what Aelin could only guess was some kind of dark wood, she could make out strategies and maps, and given that the Illyrian camps were war camps, it made sense.

Aelin could feel her mate taking in every detail of the room, and carefully watching Rhys as he halted, back towards the trio. Fae senses seemed a lot weaker in this world, as he seemed unaware Rowan could hear his purposeful calming breaths, he said nothing however simply turning to Aelin as she plopped down into a chair, and chucked her feet onto the table.

Fortunately she missed any important documents, not that she could really tell what was important and what wasn't, and tipped her head back to admire the canvas above. The material was thick and protected the inside space from the harsh weather conditions faced in the Illyrian mountains. The tent itself was quite cosy, likely due to a wood burning fire in one corner, that gave the impression was ever-burning.

"That substance, it's called Faebane and it's one of our most guarded weapons. I just don't know how they got a hold of it in the first place. Yet alone distribute it so easily throughout Windhaven."

"Seems you haven't got enough eyes and ears throughout your court." Rowan grunted with disinterest.

"Oi!" Aelin turned to glare at her mate, "Don't go insulting Azriel."

He blinked, like he was trying to bring himself to care then gave a half shrug, "I haven't met him, how would I know if he's any good. One male can't cover that large a territory either."

"My spymaster has extensive webs of underlings and many hundreds of years to build ones just to his liking." Rhys's voice was slightly sharp, understandably so at hearing his friend being mocked.

"He didn't tell you about all the fuss going down hunting Rowan though, did he?"

The High Lord looked surprised, and considered for a moment before saying, "I'll have a word with him."