Lying Illyrian Bastards

She couldn't stop thinking about the strange things Pete and Kroac had said, a Blood Rite, Pythrian, the Night Court and Ramiel. Aelin could do with finding someone to interrogate right about now. She had arrived in the foothills of the mountains just in time the night before, before the monsters started to lurk. Now it was time to climb.

The trek almost reminded her of marching armies during the war, marching through mountain passes to creep into her territory in order to save her kingdom. Aelin had succeeded then, and she had not intention of making this her first failure. At least in that regard, Aelin had failed plenty of things, Arobynn never let her forget those mistakes, so much so that they stuck with her even now.

If the temperature was cold before it was near unbearable now, in fact she didn't have the faintest clue how her human body put up with this, likely only thanks to the Fae blood running in her veins. The earth turned to loose stones under her feet and she reckoned she had a good 2 days before she reached the real challange, the mountain.  Weaving over hills and through trees, she continued to turn over her entire interaction the day before in her mind. Analysing every word. Considering how lucky she was that they spoke the same tongue.

It was earlier than she usually stopped when she spotted the cave, in a slightly grassier part of the hills, with large boulders round the outside, and tucked away from the wind, the entrance opening into a gully which would make it slightly more difficult if she needed to flee, but she had seen very few suitable caves and didn't fancy her chances with finding another before it got dark. Settling in the warmest part of the cave, Aelin prepared for yet another night in the wild. She must have rested for about an hour, half dozing, not quite early enough to truly sleep, when she head voices.

More male voices with the same accent, undoubtably the winged Fae she was now convinced were the equivilent of the Fae from her world. They seemed to know what a human was at least, but maybe in this world they did not mingle with them, it seemed likely there was a history of slavery to be unravelled but she did not have time, she had to get home.

"Enoch you overgrown cunt, I swear to the Mother I will shove you off the top of Ramiel when we get there if you don't give me that fucking bird leg."

A light laugh echoed through the gully outside her cave and a young sounding voice exclaimed, "Reuben you got all of the rabbit, get over it."

"You're just bitter, little Aloysius, that you drew the short straw... in more ways than one," then the rumbling laughter of 2 males, which only got louder when the one she assumed was Aloysius grumbled about the fact he could still fight just as well as them and it wasn't his fault they were freakishly tall.

"Sure sure, we all believe you!" 2 rhythmic thuds sounded, likely a pat on the back. It was then Aelin got a glimpse of them, through part of the entrance to the cave, a slightly shorter male had stumbled, though he was still a decent height and build by her standards. However when she saw his companions she had to agree, they were ridiculously tall, likely 6'5 each and grinning like wolves. Then, the slightly more muscled one sniffed and murmured, "It seems dinner is waiting for us Reuben..."

The other giant winged male turned, raising his eyebrows, "What?"

"A human woman, waiting in the cave... all alone..." Enoch taunted, "Don't worry girlie, we'll be with you in a minute."

The shortest sputtered and turned to his companions, "A human? This far north?"

Aelin had felt fear before, but that was not what she felt now. She guessed that spending days in an unknown mountain range, fighting winged Fae males in hopes to climb a stupidly huge mountain should rattle her with fear, especially in this body. But for the first time in years, Aelin felt calm, she felt calm at putting her life on the line yet again, and her earlier thoughts of interogating something flowed again, probably easier to catch the little one, although he was still pretty huge.