Chapter 2

Donna's alarm rang through the eerie silence of the early hours. She leapt out of bed. She glanced at her phone.

'Alarm set for 5 AM, Thursday, 5th June.'

'20 new messages from Ryan and Julia.'

Ignoring the messages, Donna switched off her alarm. She brushed her teeth and dumped her toothbrush and two boxes of toothpaste in her carry-on bag. She took a shower and rinsed her hair, later keeping her shampoo bottles in the carry-on bag as well.

She threw on a quick outfit: a flannel shirt on a plain tee with distressed jeans. She put on her sneakers and ran down the stairs.

Her mom was up, of course, cooking something that smelt insanely good. Her dad was on the front lawn, putting her suitcase in her car's trunk.

'Morning!' said Donna, smilingly. Her mom smiled back.

'Morning, darling. You all set?'

'Yep!'

'Okay, then. Dad's setting up the car. You've got everything, right? Your phone?'

'Yep.'

'Charger?'

'Yep.'

'Gas money? Your credit card? Cash?'

'Geez, mom. I've got everything. You worry way too much.'

Oh, excuse me for worrying about my only daughter.'

Donna laughed and kissed her mom's cheek. Half an hour had passed, and she had to leave at 6.

'Okay, where's my breakfast?'

'Bringing it, honey.' her mom replied.

Donna inhaled the eggs and bacon. As she was buttering her toast, she glanced at the clock.

'Shit, it's already 5:45!'

'You'll make it, don't worry.'

'I know, I just wanna leave on time.'

Donna had made plans for Washington ages ago. Her heart fluttered with excitement every time she thought of clicking pictures and visiting the White House.

Finally, the clock struck six. Donna hugged her parents for a good five minutes.

'Donna, be careful, okay? Call every other hour, alright?' her mom said tearfully.

'Mom, I'll be fine. I'll call whenever I stop, like, at a gas station or something. Don't worry.'

'She'll be fine, Tess. Don't worry.' said her dad, knowing that his wife would burst into tears any moment.

'I know, I know. She's so old now.'

'I know, sweetheart.'

Donna smiled looking at her parents. She kissed them both on the cheek.

'Okay, I'm gonna get going. Take care of each other, okay? Dad, no pulling off stunts, okay?'

'Meh, I never do stuff like that.' her dad replied, winking.

'I'm serious!'

Donna started her car. The roar of the ignition filled her with hope and excitement. She pulled out of the driveway.

Waving frantically at her parents, she yelled, 'BYE! I LOVE YOU BOTH.'

They waved back, yelling something Donna couldn't make out.

Donna smiled to herself. Finally. Finally, she was free.