Chapter 27

'Sure, Mrs Arnolds. What's up?' asked Alex, continuing to take a bite of her mashed potatoes.

Mrs Arnolds just looked at her. 'It's about your parents.'

Alex choked on her potatoes. She dropped her spoon. Staring at Mrs Arnolds, she took a moment to collect herself.

'What about them?' she asked, her voice filled with bitterness and hatred.

'Alex... we got a letter last week, from California State Prison, Sacramento. Your parents had been transferred there last week.'

There was a moment of silence. Donna touched her fingers to her lips, staring back and forth between Alex and Mrs. Arnolds.

'When were you planning on telling me this?' said Alex, her voice deadly quiet.

Mrs. Arnolds looked down at her feet. Mr. Arnolds didn't make eye contact.

Realisation dawned on Alex. 'Ah, so you weren't. How fab!' she said, throwing down her napkin on her plate. She stormed out of the room, and shut the main door.

Donna started to get up, but Lynn placed her hand on Donna's arm. 'I've got this.' she said. Slowly, she hobbled to the main door, her legs shuffling as she tried to walk.

'Alexa!' called out Lynn. The sky was a dark shade of indigo, with a slim line of red. The clouds caught the shade of the sun, turning a deep orange. It was drizzling. The soft patter of rain against the window rang through the air. Alex sat down on the poarch, her head between her knees. She stifled a sob.

'Alexa...'

'Go away, Lynn. Whatever you say isn't gonna help. I'm better off alone and miserable, okay?'

Lynn stared at her. 'Okay then.' she shrugged. Slowly turning around, she walked back towards the door.

Alex looked up, shocked at Lynn's statement.. 'What the hell, Lynn? I can't believe-'

'You asked me to leave you alone.'

'I didn't mean that. I'm sorry.'

Lynn sat herself down next to Alex. The raindrops splashed against her feet.

'You don't have much time, do you?' asked Alex, a pained expression on her face. Lynn stared into the darkness, and Alex's fear was confirmed.

'How much?' she whispered.

'Five... Five months.' croaked Lynn, tears filling her eyes. She blinked them away. There was a silence.

'You could have called me.' murmured Alex. 'I would have come-'

'And done what? Talked to me? You're doing that right now.' interjected Lynn.

'Lynn, you're fucking dying, and you didn't bother calling me. You knew where I was going, and you had my number.'

'Doesn't matter. Everyone goes when they have nothing left to do.'

'This is not the time to sprout wisdom, Lynn!' snapped Alex. Her voice was filled with rage and regret. She was mad at herself for not being there for her friend.

Lynn shook her head. 'This isn't about me Alexa. It's about you. It's not about what happened. It's about what you're gonna do. Tie up the loose ends, Alexa.'

Another moment of silence. Alex sighed.

'I can't lose someone else, Lynn. I just don't have it in me anymore. I'm done. Life has fucked me up, and I've borne the brunt for long enough. I'm tired.'

Lynn stared at her. 'You know what you need to do. And there's only so much I can do to help you.'

Alex couldn't bring herself to look at Lynn. 'Is there any other way?'

'For what?'

'Treating you.'

'No. It's over now, Alex. This was my journey. Now it's time you finish yours.'

With that, Lynn got up, and staggered back inside. The hinges creaked as the door shut with a soft bang.