Chapter 40

The family had finally sat down at the table. Donna sat next to Alex and Alex's parents sat across them.

'Who's that?' asked Mrs Scott, nodding towards Donna.

'Oh, I'm Donna.' said Donna, putting her hand forward.

'She's my girlfriend.' said Alex, smiling at her.

'Yeah.' said Donna, blushing.

Mr. and Mrs. Scott looked at each other and smiled. They looked at Alex, taking in the fact that it really was their daughter sitting in front of them.

Alex leaned forward. 'I have a question, and you need to promise to answer it honestly.' she said, facing her parents, a tough expression on her face.

Mr. Scott nodded. 'Absolutely, pumpkin. Anything.'

Alex bit her lip. 'Why did you get into drugs? Be truthful.'

Mrs. Scott looked hesitant. She sighed.

'Alexa, pumpkin, we were broke. We didn't have any money, at all. We couldn't pay off debt, or tuition for your school... anything. And-' her voice broke. Mr. Scott continued.

'We wanted to ask the bank, but the interest was too high. When we asked a friend, he convinced us to get into the business. He linked us to a drug dealer. And within five months, all our debts were paid off.'

He paused.

'We thought that by doing this, you'd be able to go to a good college, get a nice education... and make us proud. We now see how wrong we were.' he concluded, his eyes filling up with tears.

Alex just stared at them, her heart full of love. So they did do it for her. They did it all for her.

'We're so sorry, Alexa.' whispered her mother.

Alex shook her head. 'It's okay.'

The guard that stood outside gave a sharp knock. 'Time's up!' he called.

Alex couldn't believe it. So this was it. It was all over. After such a long time, this was all she got. Tears seeped into her eyes.

Her dad smiled sadly. 'Don't cry Alexa, we'll meet again. I promise.'

Her mother nodded, even though she was at the brink of breaking down again. 'Yes, we will.' she whispered.

Alex wanted to speak, but she couldn't. It was like there was huge marble in her throat, preventing her from speaking. She simply nodded.

'There you go.' her dad said, grinning. Her mom smiled widely.

'I love you.' whispered Alex.

Her dad kissed her forehead, and her mom cupped Alex's face, and kissed her nose. 'We love you too... more than you can even fathom.' she smiled.

A guard walked in, and put on a pair of handcuffs on both of them. With that, he guided them out of the room. Her parents turned around one last time, and smiled.

Alex got up from her seat to get a last look at them. She saw their orange suits shining when the light hit them. They turned around the corner and disappeared, just as quickly as they'd come.

Alex wrapped her hands around Donna and hugged her. Donna hugged alex back tightly, not letting go.