Chapter 42

Within a week and a half, they were back in New York.

The crowded streets and usual traffic felt so unusual to Donna, after a whole week of travelling around the suburbs. The constant chatter of people, the honking of cars... everything felt crazy.

Donna had called up her parents and told them that she was back in town, and would be home anytime soon, over which they completely freaked out.

Alex was nervous. Her stomach fluttered and her heart threatened to beat itself right out of her chest. She bit her lip and picked at her thumb.

Donna knew Alex well enough to know that Alex was having a nervous breakdown. She touched her hand.

'Geez, Alex, calm down. It'll be fine.'

'Yep, yep, cool, cool.'

A while later, Donna pulled up into the driveway. Her parents were on the porch, waving wildly at Donna. Donna waved back.

As Alex got out of the car, Donna's parent's eyes fell on her. Donna's mom looked pretty surprised.

As she hugged her daughter, she asked Donna.

'Donna, who's this?' Mrs Hudgens asked, smiling at Alex.

'Mom, this is Alex Scott. She's my girlfriend.'

There was a silence as Donna's parents exchanged a look.

'Oh, oh, girlfriend. That's... amazing, Donna. Hello Alex, how are you doing?' asked Mr Hudgens, as he took their bags from the car.

'I'm good Mr Hudgens. Hello Mrs Hudgens.' said Alex, smiling. Mrs Hudgens took them inside.

'So, how was Washington?'

Donna and Alex exchanged a look.

'About that, Mom... um, I didn't go to Washington.' said Donna, hesitantly.

'What? Donna! You didn't tell me that!'

'I know, but I really wanted to go to California-'

'CALIFORNIA? DONNA!'

'Mom-'

'Why California?'

'Long story, I'll tell you over dinner... that is, if Alex's okay with me telling it.' she looked at Alex.

'Yep, it's cool.' smiled Alex.

Mrs Hudgens was the type of person who couldn't stay mad at anyone for long. She struck up an interesting conversation with Alex and asked her about college, studies and what she planned to do. For once in her life, Alex knew what she wanted to do and was confident.

'Donna, Alex, go shower. You both look filthy.'

'Gee, mom, way to be nice.'

'It's the truth. I'll give you dinner after you both clean up.'

'Alright.'

Alex walked up the stairs into Donna's room. She immediately loved the soft peach color and the fairy lights that hung up above Donna's bed.

'Wow, your room's better than mine.'

'I know, I love it.'

Alex sat down. 'Can I ask you something, Donna?'

'Mhmm, Alex. Go on.'

'In Colorado, what were you talking to Lynn about? That night?'

'Can't you guess?' said Donna, a cheeky smile on her face.

'You were talking about me, weren't you?' concluded Alex.

'Yeah, we were.'

'What about me?'

'Well.' Donna sat down next to Alex. 'She asked me something about you.'

'Really now?' asked Alex, her tone incredulous.

'Mhmm. She asked me how I felt the moment I met you.'

Donna fell silent. Alex was intrigued.

'So what did you say?'

'I said... I said I felt something different about you. A good different.'

Alex laughed under her breath.

'Something different... I like that.' she smiled.

With that, Alex leaned in and kissed Donna. She threw her arms around Donna's neck. Donna wrapped her hands around Alex's waist. At that moment, they thought of nothing but each other.