Chapter 9

There was a comfortable silence in the car. Alex gazed out the window and Donna drove the car. The steady hum of the car rang through the silence.

Donna glanced at Alex. Alex's face was streaked with tear tracks, and her jaw was slightly clenched. A strand of hair fell into her eyes. She sighed heavily.

Alex turned around to look at Donna. Her heart felt heavy.

'Thank you.'

'Don't thank me. It was nice talking to you.'

They smiled at each other.

'What happened to your parents? Are they...' Donna's voice faltered as she tried to complete her sentence.

Alex shook her head, a sad look in her eyes.

'You won't judge me, will you?' asked Alex, hesitation filling her voice.

'Of course not. You can trust me.' replied Donna. 'You don't have to tell me, if it brings up too many feelings-'

'I think it's time I did.' interrupted Alex. Sighing heavily once again, she sat up in her seat.

'My... parents. Huh, where do I start with them?' scoffed Alex.

'When I was 8, they got into drugs. Never did too much themselves, but started dealing it to other users. These... strangers would always walk in with loads of cash in their hands, and would go out holding these packets filled with white powder. I would ask my parents, and they would say that these people were "friends".' she sneered, putting the word 'friends' in air quotes.

'Later on, when I was 15, I realised what they were doing. I was horrified. I yelled and shouted at them. They tried to explain... justify their actions. I didn't listen. I threatened them. Told them I would call 911 if they didn't stop. My dad hit me. My mom screamed and tried to stop him. I tried to run away, but the neighbours were already suspicious, so I had to bear with my fate. Three years later, my parents were arrested for illegal drug dealing, and I was sent to foster care.'

Alex picked at her thumbnail. Shaking her head, she said, 'It didn't matter. I was one year away from being an adult. I started applying for scholarships. Eventually, I got into Columbia University. And here I am.'

Donna was horrified. No wonder Alex didn't talk about herself. Her childhood was traumatized by her parents actions. Donna shook her head. How could any parents do this to their child?

Alex picked up on Donna's emotions. She smiled sadly.

'They were good people. They did it for me. Left a note saying they wanted the money to pay for my college. Before they got into it, they took me to parks, playgrounds, shops, and stuff. I had a pretty decent childhood.'

Donna looked dumbfounded. 'That doesn't justify their actions, Alex! They didn't give you even one chance at a normal life!'

Alex shrugged. She glanced at Donna, who herself looked pretty traumatized. She placed her hand on the back of Donna's neck, and gently rubbed it.

Donna looked startled. 'What are you doing?' she asked Alex.

'You're all tense. You've been driving for quite a while.'

'I- don't change the topic-'

'Just say thank you, Donna.'

Donna sighed, 'Thank you, Alex.'

'No problem.'

Donna's shoulders felt a lot better. Alex's hand felt warm on her bare neck. It was... well, pleasing. A shiver ran down her spine, rattling her in a good way.

'How far are we?' asked Alex, checking the GPS.

'Mmh, a few miles from Illinois.'

'Thank god. Indiana got a little too emotional for me.'

They both laughed, their spirits high again.