Chapter 8

'Oh my god, Alex. Look at this.' said Donna, sucking in her breath.

A huge lake spread out in front of them. The water was pristine, reflecting the orange and yellow leafed trees above it. The water shimmered as the warm late evening sunlight shone on it.

'Damn.' muttered Alex. 'That's beautiful.'

A memory resurfaced in Alex's mind. A lake, just as beautiful as this one, as blue as the sky above it, and as clear as glass. But something was different. Someone was holding her hand. A warm touch, very much like Donna's, gently squeezing her fingers.

'Pretty, isn't it, honey?'

A woman's spoke, her voice low and mellifluous, filling the air. A shiver ran down Alex's spine.

'I think she's quite speechless.' said another voice, this one husky and deep. It was a man's voice.

The man chuckled, and the woman laughed.

Alex got a good look at them. The woman had warm brown eyes, like honey, Her nose was like Alex's, small and slightly upturned. Her dirty blonde hair spilled across her shoulders. She smiled.

The man looked more like Alex. He had her green eyes and dark black hair. His eyes crinkled at the corners as he grinned.

'Alexa, you wanna go into the water now?'

Alex stared at them.

'Alex?' she heard a third voice, that sounded familiar. Someone sharply tapped her shoulder, and she snapped out of her thoughts.

'Hmm?' she said, turning around.

'You okay?' said Donna, looking concerned.

'Yeah, yeah. I'm good.'

Donna studied her. After a few seconds, she nodded.

'What happened?'

'Just had a thought.'

Alex's eyes shimmered slightly. Her eyes looked watery. Donna knew better than to poke around Alex's life. But she couldn't help it.

'Do you want to... um, talk?'

Donna tensed, ready to hear another retort or comeback. But she was surprised.

'I saw my parents.' whispered Alex, her voice low and somewhat strangled.

Donna took in a sharp breath. Alex rarely talked about her personal life, and now she was pouring out her soul.

'Did- did they say anything?'

'They took me to a place, in-' her breath rattled. 'In Colorado. Denver, I think.'

'Mhmm.' said Donna, nodding gently. 'And then?'

'Mum held my hand. And I could hear them laughing. She said my name.'

'Alright.' Donna put her hand around Alex's shoulder. 'It's okay. Everything's fine, okay?'

Still holding Alex, Donna walked towards the car. As she glanced at Alex, she saw a tear shimmering, making its way down her cheek. Donna wiped it with her fingers.