Chapter 22

The woman was still hugging Alex. Alex hugged her back too.

The woman, Mrs Arnolds, ran her fingers through Alex's hair. She pushed Alex back from the shoulders and took a good look at her.

'Oh my god, you've grown. So much.'

'I know, I know!' said Alex, shivering with excitement.

'I didn't know you were coming, you should have told me-' started Mrs Arnolds, but she stopped halfway between. Her eyes rested on Donna.

Donna took a nervous step back. Alex rushed to her side.

'Mrs. Arnolds, this is Donna. She's my girlfriend.'

Donna's cheeks flushed when Alex called her 'her girlfriend.'. She collected herself and stepped forwards, holding out her hand.

'Hi, ma'am, I'm Donna Hudgens.'

The lady didn't shake her hand back. She just stood there, studying her. Donna was about to drop the handshake, when Mrs. Arnolds charged in for a hug.

'You've got a keeper, Alexa.' she chuckled.

'I know.' laughed Alex.

Donna sighed with relief. Mrs. Arnold had quite a firm grip. She pushed Donna back and smiled at her.

'Alexa, come home. Come to our house. She's waiting.'

Alex's eyes widened. 'LYNN?! SHE'S HERE?'

'Of course. Where would she go? She's been trying to contact you for so many years.'

'OH MY GOD, LET'S GO.' yelled Alex, grabbing Donna's hand

'I-' started Donna, as she got yanked forward by Alex.

They reached the house just across Alex's. It was painted a peach colour, with a mustard yellow door, which made Donna wonder if the guy who painted it was color blind.

The lawn was beautifully kept. Orchids, carnations, sunflowers and daisies adorned the door and the windowsills. The topiary was professional, and the grass was freshly cut.

They stepped inside, and the place reminded Donna of home. The same warm atmosphere, the smell of something being cooked in the kitchen, the worn out sofas, the racks filled with magazines no one ever read... it was all way too similar for Donna.

Mrs. Arnolds trotted into the kitchen, bringing out two bottles of ice cold beer, which was something both Alex and Donna needed. Alex popped off the cap, and took a long sip.

'Oh, my god, this is the life, I'm telling you.' she said, winking at Donna. Donna smiled, taking a sip of her own drink. The cold drink ran down her throat, instantly cooling her body.

Mrs. Arnold made conversation with both of them, asking about college, their courses, and what they wanted to do with their lives. Donna confidently spoke about what she wished to achieve in life. Alex looked at her, ever so slightly turned on. There was nothing hotter than confidence.

Moments later, there was the soft patter of feet on the stairs. Alex looked up, and she couldn't believe her eyes.

A young girl, around their age was rushing down the stairs. Her hair, which had once been a rich golden blonde color, was now ash colored. Her face was thin, and her skin looked pale.A tube ran right below her nose. Her figure looked like a skeleton with just skin. But her eyes told a different story. They sparkled with a certain joy and happiness that was so in contrast with her general look. She smiled, the corners of her eyes crinkling.

'Alexa!' she called out.

'LYNN!' yelled Alex. Alex charged in for a hug, both laughing as they finally met again.