Chapter 16

'Kansas is cool, not gonna lie. I like it.' said Donna looking around at the city, as Alex took the driving shift again.

'Hmm, the weather's good.'

'Yeah, it's warm and nice.'

'Mhmm.'

'I might actually move here in the future if it's gonna be like this.'

Alex's eyes widened. 'I thought you were "emotionally attached" to New York?'

Donna shrugged. 'I dunno, really. New York is... nice, but eh. I need a change.'

'Change...' mused Alex. 'Amazing how "change" means something different to everyone.'

'Change is subjective, you can't classify it.'

'Yeah.'

It was twelve in the afternoon. The sun was beating down on the streets. Alex flicked on the AC.

'Wichita's nice.' Donna commented.

'It's meh. Kansas is meh.'

'Oh come on, it's pretty.'

'Like I said, meh.'

'How long till Colorado?'

'Well, 7 to 8 hours, tops.'

'Fantastic. Fabulous.'

Donna glanced at Alex. Alex's nose was slightly scrunched up, which happened every time she was worried about something. The corner of her eyes were crinkled.

'Are you worried about Colorado?'

Alex shook her head. 'No.'

There was a pregnant pause. Alex let out a sigh.

'Kind of. But, whatever, it's alright. I don't really care.'

'It's okay to talk, you know?' suggested Donna.

'Yeah, well, there's nothing to talk about.'

'You wanna drive without talking?'

'I'm not talking about myself, so you go ahead.'

'Alright.' agreed Donna.

She tugged at her shirt. 'Well...' she started. 'I decided to go on this road trip, and I met this girl. She's awesome. Her name starts with 'A' something, can't remember. She's really cool. I really like her too, but I didn't know if she was interested.'

Alex couldn't suppress a smile. 'And?'

'Well, turns out, she was into me too. We had sex, and it was amazing. She's really good at it too, honestly. She has had a pretty hard life and she won't talk about it. And I wanted to let her know it's okay. And I also want her to know I'm there with her no matter what happens.'

Donna exhaled, smiling at Alex.

Alex opened her mouth to speak, but no words came out. Hearing the way Donna described her choked her up.

'Th- Thanks, Donna.'

'No need to thank me, Alex.'

'Yeah.' Alex smiled. 'Did you figure out the girl's name?'

'Geez Alex, I thought you'd have figured it out by now.'

'Well, I'm not Sherlock now, am I?'

'Haha.'

Laughing, Alex beamed at Donna. Donna kissed Alex's cheek.

'Now drive, babe, I wanna reach Colorado.'