Chapter 7

Donna's foot wasn't any better, and they weren't any closer to California.

Ugh.

Alex was exhausted. Donna was cranky. The radio was only playing Spandau Ballet, which annoyed the hell out of both of them.

They'd made it to Indiana, which was literally the most boring place you could ever go. For miles, it was only a stretch of green land and farm, with a few houses sprinkled here and there.

'Does it get any worse from here? God, I wanna kill myself, it's so boring.'

'Can you not say that while you're in a car?'

'Right, sorry.'

And that was the longest conversation they had.

Donna pulled out her phone. She typed something, and started to scroll through.

'Whatcha looking at?' asked Alex.

'Hey, there's a recreational site nearby. It's called the 'Brown County State Park' and it looks gorgeous.' replied Donna, staring at her phone in wonder.

'How many miles?'

'30.'

Alex pondered over the thought. She nodded.

'Alright then. It's better than just driving.'

Donna opened her mouth, at the verge of saying something, but then shut it again.

Alex smirked. 'Go on.' she said.

'Go on with what?'

'You were about to say something, weren't you?'

Donna looked sheepish. Alex smiled.

'Oh, come on, just say it already.'

'It's more of a... question.' confessed Donna.

'Huh. Go on.'

Donna took a deep breath, 'Where are you from?'

'Asking personal questions now, are we?' teased Alex.

Donna looked offended. She retorted.

'Well, if you don't want to answer-'

'Geez, Donna, I'm just playing.'

'Oh. Oh, I'm sorry-'

'I'm from Colorado.'

Donna sat up in her seat. 'Oh my god, really? OH WOW!'

'It isn't such a big deal-'

'No, we're gonna pass Colorado!' exclaimed Donna, almost jumping up and down her seat. 'You can see your home, and maybe your parents-'

Alex's face fell at the mention of her parents. Her eyes hardened and her breathing deepened.

'Alright, that's enough.'

Donna looked at her. 'Aren't you happy? I mean-'

'No!' shot Alex. She took a deep breath. 'Let's just not talk, okay?'

Slinking back into her seat, Donna looked at Alex. Alex's eyes were on the road. Her hand was trembling, and the corner of her eye was twitching ever so slightly.

A few minutes later, the car slowed down.

'Well, we're here.' announced Alex.

The crowd was shuffling about, taking pictures. The air was filled with the hum of people talking within themselves. Everyone seemed to be having a good time. A young girl sat on her father's shoulders as he held her firmly by her legs. The girl looked at Donna and waved at her. Donna smiled and waved back.

'Well, shall we?' offered Alex.

'Alright.' said Donna, stepping out of the car.

They walked towards the entrance. The pathway was a worn trail.

For a while there was a silence. The crunch of the autumn leaves and the cry of birds was the only thing to be heard.

Finally, Alex spoke up.

'I'm sorry.'

Donna looked surprised. 'What for?' she asked.

'I burst out in the car, and yelled at you. I'm sorry, I didn't mean to.'

'Honestly, it's okay. It's fine.'

'No, it's not. I have a short temper.'

'I figured that I touched a nerve. I shouldn't have-'

'I know, but still. It wasn't your fault.'

'Yes, but-'

'Just accept the apology, Hudgens.' interjected Alex.

Donna smiled. 'Apology accepted.'

With that, the both of them walked, finally in a good mood, happy to be with each other.