Chapter 28

Donna stayed inside, biting her nails with nervousness.

That was huge news. And they were headed to California. Was that some sort of sign? A sign that Alex was supposed to make things right with her parents?

She glanced at Mrs. Arnolds, who'd put her head in her arms, muttering something about how stupid she was. Mr. Arnolds was searching for something in the kitchen cabinets.

Gently placing her hand on Mrs. Arnold's arm, Donna spoke up.

'It's not your fault. You were just trying to protect her.'

'I know, I know. I don't want anything happening to Alexa... the poor kid, she doesn't deserve this life...'

Mrs. Arnolds kept rambling on about Alex. Donna tapped her feet against the floor, nervously looking outside the door to see if anything was happening between Lynn and Alex.

Finally, after what seemed forever, Lynn walked in and shut the door. She glanced outside for a moment then walked towards the table.

'Well, she's pondering over the matter. Give her sometime.' she said, sitting down on the table.

Moments later, Alex walked in. Her gaze was unfocused, and she was very obviously thinking of something else. Shaking her head, she fixed her eyes on Donna.

'Well... um, I think I'm gonna sleep over this. It's quite a lot of news to digest. Good night.' she said, wringing her arms. She walked up the stairs and shut the bedroom door.

Donna sighed. 'I don't even know what to do anymore.'

'You don't have to do anything, Donna. It's alright.' said Lynn, looking at Donna with pity.

Donna stared at her feet. Everything was going alright up to this point. She looked at Lynn, whose blue eyes were now watery.

'I wish you guys didn't have to leave.' she said, under her breath, still looking at Donna. Donna smiled sadly.

'Yeah, me too. It's been a good two days here. Feels like home.'

'When you guys return to New York, say goodbye to me one last time, okay?'

Donna gulped. Then she nodded.

'I will.'

'Promise me?' asked Lynn, once again her eyes filling with tears.

'I promise you, Lynn. No matter what, we'll be here again.'

Lynn's eyes twinkled, and the mischievous look returned to her face once again.

'For what it's worth,' said Lynn, 'Alex loves you too. She's just afraid to let her emotions cloud her sense of judgement.'

'I know. I'm just scared for her. If things go downhill... it's gonna destroy her once in for all.'

Lynn clasped her hands together. 'That which does not kill us makes us stronger.'

Donna glanced at her. 'Nietzsche.' they both said in unison. Surprised, they laughed.

'Trust me, Donna. Alex needs to see her parents. It's tough, but she needs to get it over with.'

'Yeah... I believe you.'

'Stay with her. Knowing that someone is by her side is gonna make her feel a lot better, okay?'

'Yeah, I will.' promised Donna.

With that, Lynn wished Donna goodnight, and once again, Donna was left alone with only her thoughts.