Chapter 39

Alex and Donna sat on a table in the Visitation Room. Alex's palms were sweaty, and she was constantly tapping her foot against the ground. Donna was nervous too. She bit her inner cheek, and occasionally glanced at Alex.

Finally, the slam of a metal door was heard, and Alex caught the first glimpse of her parents in years. Her heart stopped. She couldn't breathe.

Two people in Aegean blue colored scrubs walked towards. They stopped dead in their tracks when they saw Alex.

Alex's mother looked thinner than ever and her high cheekbones were highlighted. Her hair was still a gorgeous dirty blonde in color, and her warm, brown eyes that were filled with sadness were now filled with a certain hope.

Her father looked the same, just a little bit older. He had the same eyes, the same smile. His forehead was crinkled, and the skin near his eyes was slightly creased.

Donna couldn't stop staring at them. They were Alex's... parents. God, those words sounded so weird together.

Alex stood where she was. Her mom sobbed and ran towards her, engulfing her in a hug. Her father walked towards them and wrapped his arms around them.

Alex's eyes filled with tears, of either rage, love or sadness... she couldn't figure out her own feelings. They just stood that way for a few moments, enjoying the warmth of family.

Alex's mother stood back and studied her daughter. She covered her mouth with her hand, looking at her husband to make sure she wasn't dreaming.

'Oh my god, Alexa... Alexa!' she cried. 'Oh my darling, oh!'. She broke down into tears. Her husband looked at Alex, and his eyes started watering.

'Dad.' whispered Alex. Her mouth trembled ever so slightly.

'Alexa.' he whispered back, unable to believe his eyes.

Alex melted into a puddle of tears. The warmth of her parents was just too much for her to handle. She started crying. The tears wouldn't stop. She sobbed.

'I hate you both so much!' she cried. 'So much.'

Her mother stroked her hair. 'Alexa-'

Alex pushed her mother back. 'You've been making excuses this whole time! You didn't care what happened to me, did you? You just left me to fend for myself! I hate you!' she yelled.

Alex's father pulled her close. 'I'm so sorry, pumpkin. We hate ourselves for doing it. I can't tell you how much I despise myself.'

Alex's mother just nodded, still stroking her daughter's hair. 'We love you so much, Alexa. I'd do anything to go back and change time.'

Alex sniffed and looked at her parents. Her mom smiled sadly.

'You've grown up so much... hasn't she?' she said.

'Yeah, she has. She's so beautiful now.' murmured her dad, looking at his wife with a wistful expression.

Alex charged in for a hug and didn't let go. Her parents held her just as hard.

'Don't ever let go again, okay? Otherwise, I'll kill you.' sniffled Alex.

Her parents half laugh, half sobbed. 'Never again, Alexa. Never again.'

They stayed as they were, basking in the love of each other.