Chapter 37

'Room number... 232.' said the receptionist, double-checking her register.

'Okay, thanks! Also, do you happen to know where the California State Prison, Sacramento is?' asked Alex, cheerfully.

'Um...'. The receptionist stammered.

'Okay! Thank you! Let's go Alex, before they kick us out of here.' said Donna, smiling forcefully, pulling Alex by the arm. Alex waved to the receptionist, who was still staring at them.

'Why are you like this?' muttered Donna, avoiding eye contact with the staff.

'It was fun, and you have to admit it.'

'Yes, but we're staying here Alex, you can't go around asking people for directions to a fucking prison.'

'Eh.'

'Don't 'eh' me, Alex.'

Once again, the both of them were in a dingy room, with plain beige walls and a king sized bed, with a lamp on each side.

'Hotels are so... meh. Basic.'

'Now we're judging hotel rooms?'

'I'm bored, spare me.'

Donna's phone rang.

'God damn it, if it's my mom again-'

But the screen read 'Julia'. Donna was about to cut the call, but Alex stopped her.

'Pick it up.' said Alex, nodding towards the phone.

'I- why? I hate her now-'

'Just talk. Maybe it'll help.'

Donna sighed. She swiped up and picked up the call.

'Hi, Donna.' said a timid voice from the other end of the call.

'Julia.' Donna's voice was hard.

'Listen, I- I just want to right things between us.'

'It's never gonna go back to what it was, so forget it.'

'Please, Donna. I don't want things to go back to exactly how they were. I just can't bear the thought of not talking to you everytime I pass you in the hallway, knowing that things could be much different and better between us.' Julia pleaded, her voice slightly breaking.

Donna's eyes stung. 'Maybe you should have thought of that before you went with Ryan.'

Julia sobbed. 'Exactly! I wasn't thinking. I never should have done that with Donna, I'm so sorry.'

Donna took a deep breath, and sighed. 'It's okay.'

The other end was silent. 'Really?' cried Julia.

'Yeah, but I never want to hear from you again, okay?'

Julia stopped. 'Wait, what?'

'You wanted my forgiveness, you have it, but don't talk to me, ever again.'

'Donna, that's not what I-'

'Bye, Julia.' Donna cut the call.

Alex's eyes widened. 'Damn... that was awesome, Donna.'

Donna smiled. 'I had to move on too, right?'

'Yeah. Holy shit, Mean Donna is a real turn on.'

'Ooooh!' exclaimed Donna, winking at Alex.

Alex grinned. 'I don't know about you, Donna, but I'm getting ideas.'

Donna blushed. 'I like where this is going.'

Alex pulled the card out of the slot and shut the door behind her.