Chapter 32

The day was cool and windy, which was a nice change from the monotony of the harsh sunlight.

Donna's hair flew in the wind. She looked so relaxed and calm. The music was playing on blast. The bracelet on her wrist fluttered.

Alex looked smart. Her hair was done up in a ponytail, and she'd put on a bandana as an accessory, and her shades stood at the tip of her nose. Her denim jacket swayed with the wind.

'I like this. We look like two badasses from a movie, or something.'

'True. I dig it.'

'Someone should take a picture of us, or something.'

'Like a photoshoot.'

'I'd love that.'

It was all quiet for a while. Donna looked at Alex.

'Can I ask you a question?' she asked, rather hesitantly.

'Yeah, sure.'

'Why do Lynn, Mrs. and Mr. Arnolds call you Alexa? I mean, is that your real name or something?'

Alex smiled for a moment. 'My real name isn't Alexa.'

Donna was bewildered. 'Then-'

'It's Alexandra.'

Donna's jaw dropped to the ground. 'OH MY GOD, ALEX! Or should I say... Alexandra.'

'Oh, shut up.' chuckled Alex.

'Alexandra...' mused Donna. 'Gosh, Alex, you finally make sense to me now.'

'So was the secret all in the name, huh?' she asked, sarcastically.

'Kind of, not gonna lie.'

Alex laughed. Donna just looked at her. Alex looked back.

'You completely fascinate me Alex.'

'I know, I'm simply captivativating. But to be honest, I don't fancy that name.'

Donna was a bit surprised. 'Why? It's pretty.'

'Yeah, it was my mom's middle name too, so I didn't like it much.'

'Oh.'

'Yeah.'

'Did you have any siblings?'

'Nope, it was just me. How about you?' asked Alex.

'It was just me too. I've always wanted a sibling, though.'

Alex narrowed her eyes. 'Why? Don't like being showered with attention?'

Donna shook her head. 'No, that's not it. It's just that my parents were always working, and I didn't get much time with them until much later on. Also, I can't talk to parents about stuff that I can talk to siblings about.'

'Like?' asked Alex.

'Relationships, boyfriends, girlfriends, gossip, et cetera, et cetera.'

'Speaking of that, have you heard from Ryan?'

'Nope. And quite honestly, I'm better off without that scumbag in my life.'

'Damn, Donna. That's the spirit. How about Julia?'

Donna's face fell at the mention of Julia. 'I haven't spoken to her. I don't care, honestly. Let them do whatever they wanna. It's not my problem anymore.'

Desperately trying to keep a straight face, Donna focused on driving. Alex studied her expression.

'I'm happy for you, Donna. Clinging to the past isn't gonna get us anywhere.' she said.

'Yeah... I learned that from you.' said Donna, smiling.

Alex winked, and kissed Donna's cheek.