Chapter 33

'I think we should continue on the US 50, east.'

'I thought-'

'No, the west takes much more time.'

'Alright, fine.'

It was Alex's turn to drive. After staying in Utah for the night, they'd both taken off for Nevada the next day.

'So, we'll be visiting Sacramento, right?' asked Donna, a bit nervously, not willing to bring up any harsh emotions in Alex.

Alex bit her lip. 'Yeah, Sacramento.'

'Do you have an address? Or directions?'

'No, I just figured we could use the GPS.'

'Yep, yep, that's smart too.'

Alex gripped the steering wheel. She thought back to Colorado. Her house was still lying there, in her name. She'd decided to keep it, but now was having second thoughts.

'What are you planning on doing in Sacramento?' asked Donna, shuffling through some papers in the storage unit in her car.

'What do you mean?' asked Alex.

'With your parents?'

'Oh.' said Alex. 'Um, I guess I'll just talk to them, catch up, blame them for ruining my life. And then go back to New York with you.'

'Oh, okay, cool, cool, cool. Sounds like you're sorted.'

Alex gave Donna a look.

'I know you think I'm crazy at times.'

'Yes, you're correct about that.'

'Good. Because I am crazy. I'm also mad at them, so I think I can justify my thoughts and actions.'

'Fair enough.'

'Also, we're not gonna stop in Nevada.'

'Wait, what?'

'Yeah, I just wanna get this over with.'

'Alex, it's a long, long ride.'

'I know, I just want to end this.'

'Alright then, I won't stop you.' said Donna, shuffling through the papers again.

'What are you searching for?'

'My car insurance receipt. Can't remember if I left it at home, or if I kept it in the car.'

'Hmm.'

Donna sat up in her seat. 'I feel like watching a movie or something.'

'That is so random.'

'Yeah, I know, but I really do.'

'What's on your mind?'

'We do have some time to spare in Nevada. Come on, let's do something.'

'Donna, by the time we reach Nevada, it'll be 9 in the night.'

'Damn it.'

'We'll watch one in California, if you're okay with it.' consoled Alex.

'Really? So... movie date?'

'Yep, movie date.'

'Ahhh, yay!' exclaimed Donna, clapping her hands.

Just at that moment, a loud bang echoed through the air.

'Holy fuck, what was that?' screamed Donna. The car slowed down and stopped moving.

Alex smacked her head against the steering wheel.

'Alex...?'

Alex sighed. 'We've got a small problem.'