Chapter 41

Alex and Donna were escorted out by the same officer. They bade goodbye to him and walked towards their car.

Donna looked at Alex, who was really emotionally fragile at the moment. She didn't say anything and got into the car.

For the first hour of the car drive, no one said anything. It was silent with music playing on the speakers. Alex stared out of the window as Donna drove.

'Alex...' said Donna.

'Yeah?' asked Alex, turning around to look at Donna.

'I'm really proud of you. I just wanted you to know that.'

'Thank you. It was... rewarding. Yeah.'

Donna smiled. Alex smiled back.

'You know, before I saw them, I was ready to yell at them. Ready to blame them for everything that went downhill in my life.' she said, twirling a thread that was dangling from her dress.

'But the moment I saw them... I realised how lucky I was to be there. Just in that moment, with them. My heart just melted, and I realised how much I loved them. There's still a part of me that'll never really forgive them for what they did... but I'm always gonna love them. Always.'

Donna couldn't help smiling. So there was a softer version of Alex beyond the rough one, beyond the one that acted like everything was alright.

'And I realised another thing.' said Alex.

'What?' asked Donna.

'I realised how lucky I am to have you in my life. To have you here with me, by my side, at this moment. I don't think I'll ever find someone like you, Donna. Ever.'

Donna teared up. Alex saw that and laughed.

'Oh come on, Donna! Don't cry.' laughed Alex.

'I'm so not crying!' denied Donna, quickly wiping her eyes.

'Yes, you were! You totally were!'

'Well, then next time, don't say something so nice about me!' said Donna, wiping her eyes.

Alex laughed. Donna grinned.

'But, seriously... thank you, Donna.'

'Don't thank me, Alex. I'm just as lucky to have found you.' said Donna, smiling.

There was a comfortable silence.

'So, we're headed to New York, right?'

'Yep, we are. My house.'

'Wow. I can't believe it's over already.'

'It was a blur, yeah.'

Alex hesitated a bit, and Donna saw that.

'What happened?' she asked, looking concerned.

'I think I'm just really nervous.' said Alex.

'For what?'

'Meeting your parents. I mean, you're from a good family, and I-'

'Oh shush, Alex. They're gonna love you.'

'How are you so confident?'

'Like I said, anybody is better than Ryan. And I've truly fallen for you, so yes, I'm confident.'

'Will they be okay with you dating a girl?'

'I don't know, but they better be. I'm not letting you go anytime soon.'

Alex smiled. 'I love you, Donna.'

Donna looked at her and smiled. 'I love you too, Alex.'