Chapter 19

'Stay on the 50, Donna.'

'You sure?'

'Yeah. It'll meet the 25, that takes us to Colorado Springs.'

'I'm honestly freaking out, internally.'

Alex smiled. She reached out her jacket, hoping it would have dried after last night. As she felt it, it was still soaked in a few places. She threw it back in disgust.

'Jacket still wet?' asked Donna, looking amused at Alex's expression.

'Yeah.' sighed Alex. 'Stupid thing won't dry. I hate rain.'

'Oh well. I like the rain. It's soothing.'

'Really? Ew.'

'Honestly Alex, what do you like?' asked Donna, shaking her head.

'Nevermind that. How far are we?'

'Two and a half hours from Colorado Springs.'

'Hmm.'

Donna had a glimpse at Alex. Alex was full of nervous energy. She was constantly drumming her fingers against the dashboard, her feet were tapping against the floor of the car. She'd look at the GPS every two seconds.

Donna put her hand on Alex's thigh. 'It'll be fine Alex. You worry too much.'

Alex had a worried look on her face. 'I know, it's just-'. She exhaled. The worried look wiped away from her face.

'Yeah. Yeah, it'll be fine.' she said, smiling brightly.

'That's my girl.'

It was quiet for about two minutes before Alex spoke up again.

'Can we get a breakfast burrito or something? I'm hungry.'

********************

Colorado Springs was nothing like anything Donna had seen before. It was gorgeous.

The air was cool and fresh. Beyond the architecture and buildings, peaks of mountains towered above, capped with ice even during the summer. The sky was a bright blue in color, and the sun was just warm enough. Trees of every color grew as far as Donna could see.

'This is where you grew up, Alex? Oh my god, I'm jealous.'

'Weirdly, I don't remember it being this green before.'

'Really?'

'Yeah. Also, Colorado is just New York without all the pollution. And with trees.'

'Not true, but alright.'

'Potatoe, Potahtoe.' shrugged Alex.

Two hours passed quickly, and they were in Colorado Springs. It was even greener, somehow. Dozens of parks passed them by, all advertising mountain treks and overnight cabin rentals.

'Ahem.' Alex cleared her throat. 'The street is Pikes Peak Avenue. It's a couple miles from here.' She fell silent, gazing at the other cars passing them by.

As Donna took the turn for Pikes Peak, she passed an array of different houses, all built in different types of architecture. Most of it was Victorian architecture, with a bit of modern sprinkled here and there.

'It's amazing, wow.' said Donna, in awe.

'It's just the way I remember it.' replied Alex, breathlessly.

'Yeah. Alex, do you wanna stop at your house?'

'Um, yeah. If you don't mind-'

'Of course, I don't! House number?'

Pulling a little chit out of her pocket, Alex read the words written on it.

'1427 W, Pikes Peak Ave, Colorado Springs.' she said, her voice ever so slightly trembling. Her hands shook.

After five minutes of silence, Donna announced 'We're here.'