Chapter 24

'Where did you and Alexa meet?'

Donna shuffled nervously. 'Um, Alex and I met at a gas station, if you'll believe it.'

Lynn looked amused. 'Damn, a gas station?'

'Mhmm.' nodded Donna. 'A guy was refusing to fix her car, and kinda rough handed her, so I punched the dude-'

'Hold up, you punched him? Damn, Donna. You just won my respect.'

'That's good to hear, haha.' laughed Donna.

Lynn ran her fingers across the cabinet, almost wistfully, as if she were remembering something.

Donna glanced at her.

'Do you mind if I ask you something?' she asked, a bit nervously.

'Yeah, go ahead.'

'Um, what is the tube for?' asked Donna, touching the bit of skin under her own nose.

Lynn smiled. 'I have pulmonary fibrosis. The tube's for air supply.'

'Oh. Oh, I'm so sorry.' said Donna quietly.

Lynn looked surprised. 'What are you sorry for?'

'I mean, I didn't know-' replied Donna, hastedly.

Lynn shook her head. 'If it ain't your fault, don't be sorry.'

Donna looked at Lynn. Her sea blue eyes were filled with a certain sadness, almost regret. Her fingers were still sweeping across the table.

Donna sat up. 'Look, Lynn. I know you're Alex's best friend, but I just want you to know that I really, really like her. I know you're worried about anything happening to her, but you shouldn't. I love her.'

Lynn glanced up. She smiled.

'I know Donna. You're awesome, and I can see why Alexa likes you. Also, why do you call her Alex?'

'She asked me to.' replied Donna.

'Ahh I see. One more question...'

At that moment, Alex stepped out of the bathroom. She's tied her hair up in her towel. As she was wiping her feet across the bathroom mat, she saw Donna and Lynn engaged in deep conversation. She saw as Lynn smiled and hugged Donna. Donna patted Lynn's back.

'Hey, you two. Done with the hug fest?'

Donna glanced up. 'Alright, I'm going in for a shower too.'

Alex teased Donna. 'I used up all the hot water, Donna.' She winked.

'Please don't tell me you actually did that.'

But Alex had already left, a cheeky smile on her face.