Chapter 3

Turns out, driving after a while can get tiring.

New York was huge. She still hadn't made it out of the state line. The traffic was never-ending.

After another hour, she'd almost reached the New York-Pennsylvania border. The road finally emptied down here. The roads were barren, and there was barely any traffic.

It was getting hot. Even though it was only 9:30 am, the sun was beating down on her. She switched on the AC and sighed a breath of relief.

Another two hours passed. The gas was low, and Donna was tired out. She needed a drink.

Luckily, a gas station was in sight. She pulled in and stepped out of the car. Her t-shirt was drenched in sweat, and her hair was making her feel hotter. Pulling her hair back, she tied it into a messy bun, with strands of her hair falling. She plugged in the nozzle of the gas pipe. Her phone rang.

'Hi, mom. Yeah, I just stopped for gas, I was about to call you. Mhmm, everything's good, I'm gonna grab something to eat on the way.'

As her mom was talking, she glanced at another girl, around the same age as Donna, arguing with a man. They were both in each other's face, yelling some very colourful words at one another. The man, who finally lost it, grabbed the girl's arm roughly.

'Mom, I gotta go. I'll call.'

Donna disconnected the call and ran towards the girl.

'Hey! HEY! BACK OFF, JERK. LEAVE HER ALONE!'

The girl looked surprised, the man even more. Donna landed one hard punch on his jaw. He fell to the ground, whimpering.

'Yeah, think faster next time.' she growled. She kicked the guy.

Donna placed her arms on her hips, and breathed heavily, turning around to look at the girl, who was just staring at her.

'You okay?' asked Donna.

'Mhmm, yeah. I'm- I'm fine.'

'Did he do anything to you?'

'Nah, it's fine, really.'

'Alright, then.' sighed Donna, as she walked towards her car.

'Thank you.' the girl said.

Donna turned around and smiled, 'Don't mention it. I'm Donna, by the way.'

'Alex.'

'Nice to meet you, Alex.'

'You too, Donna. You going somewhere?'

'Mhmm. I'm on a trip. Got a break from college, so here I am. I'm visiting Washington.'

'Aha, that's pretty cool. Washington, damn.'

Both of them walked towards the convenience store. Alex ran her fingers through her hair.

'Pretty cool, what you did back there.' she said.

'Oh, it was nothing. Self Defence 101.' laughed Donna.

She grabbed a few bags of chips, a six-pack of Coke, a few water bottles and a pack of gum and dumped them on the counter.

Alex grabbed a few beer cans and placed them on the counter. The cashier stared at them.

'What?' asked Alex, staring him down.

'You both want all of this?'

'Duh, dumbass. What did you think?'

Donna chuckled. She took a few dollars out of her purse.

'Hurry up, please.'

Alex cursed. Donna looked at her.

'Problem?'

'Yeah, I've run out of cash, and they don't accept cards.'

'No problem. This one's on me.'

'I- I couldn't. You don't have to-'

'Please. I got it.'

Donna handed another few notes. The cashier grunted and handed back the change.

Alex grabbed the cans of beer and the six-pack. Donna grabbed the chips, water and gum. She walked towards her car and dumped the stuff in her backseat. She slammed the door.

Alex, however, had sat down at the edge of the road.

Donna stared at her, 'Where's your car?'

Alex sighed. She pointed towards something that vaguely resembled a car.

Donna inhaled sharply. 'What happened to it?'

'Got pretty busted. The guy you punched? He wasn't ready to repair it. Jackass.'. She popped open one can.

'Do you have to go somewhere?'

'I'm just travelling around, honestly. Here and there, just blowing like the wind. I've got nowhere to be, so... yeah.'. Alex sighed.

Donna stared at her. 'So what are you gonna do?'

Alex shrugged, 'I don't know, to be honest.'

'How can you not know?'

'I just don't. Don't worry about me. Thank you for the beer.'

'No.'

Alex stared at her. 'What?'

'No. You're coming with me.'

Alex laughed. 'Yeah, right.'

Donna brushed her jeans. 'Nah, you're coming, girl. Right now.'

'Excuse me?' Alex asked indignantly.

'You're not staying here alone, okay?'

'Well, I am.'

'Just come on.'

Alex was frankly shocked. 'You want me, who you've barely known for five minutes, to come with you?'

'Yes.' Donna nodded.

'Why?'

'Cause, you're a girl, and I'm not leaving a fellow girl in the midst of nowhere. So get the hell up, and get in the car.'

Alex tried hard not to smile or burst out laughing. 'All right, but I'm a really difficult person to put up with, lemme warn you.'

Donna shrugged. 'I've been dealing with difficult people my whole life, so I'm good.'

Alex yelled, 'SHOTGUN!'

Donna just laughed and ran towards her car.