Chapter 38

It was the big day, and Alex was freaking out.

Donna had been trying her best to calm Alex down, but none of it seemed to be working. Alex would pace around the room, muttering something under her breath, occasionally rushing to her bag, searching for something.

Alex had picked out a simple green dress that went extremely well with her eyes. She brushed her hair and tied it up, but Donna convinced her to leave it down.

'It makes you look 'feminine', you know.' she'd said.

Donna had worn a white dress, with intricate embroidery. Her auburn fell across her shoulders like a sheet. Her grey eyes sparkled. Her neck was adorned with a necklace with a paper-plane pendant.

'You look amazing, Alex.' said Donna, smiling.

'So do you. Gosh, everyone's prettier than me.'

'Not true. You're gorgeous.'

Alex smiled. 'Shall we?'

'Yep. Have you got everything?'

'Yeah, I have.'

'You're drivers license, passport-'

'Yes, Donna, I've got everything. Don't worry.'

'Geez, I sound like my mom. Not a good sign.'

Alex laughed. They both made their way down to the car, and Donna signed the room bill.

'I've got a question for you, Donna.' said Alex.

'Mhmm, spill, Alex.' nodded Donna.

'If you were to choose a song that matched my personality, which one would it be?'

Donna thought for a moment. She looked up.

'"Shine on, you crazy diamond." by Pink Floyd.'

'Huh.' said Alex, intrigued. 'Why?'

'I dunno, the title suits you. You are a crazy diamond, in my eyes.'

'I love that.' smiled Alex, giving Donna a small peck on the cheek.

Their destination wasn't far away. It was around 20 miles from their hotel. In a few minutes, they'd pulled up in front, only to be greeted by two police officers.

'May I help you, ladies?' asked the first police officer, in a gruff voice. He was bulky and was wearing a dark blue vest, which read 'SFPD'.

Alex spoke up with absolute confidence. 'Hi, I'm here to visit two inmates. They're family.'

'You're gonna have to fill in forms, and prove identity.'

'I've got all of that.'

'Who's the other one?'

'She's a close friend. She's with me.'

'Come on in, then.'

Donna pulled up inside the gates, parking her car on the corner. They got out of their car and were escorted by the officers into a dark hallway. At the other end, there was a reception like stand. A woman, heavily built, wearing the same uniform, stood, filing papers and stamping a form. She looked up.

'What do we have here?'

'They wanna visit two inmates.' said the first officer.

'Nuh-uh. They have to sign the form 4-6 weeks before visitation-'

Alex interjected. 'I'm sorry, but I've been waiting for the last 5 years of my life to see them. So please, for god's sake, let me. It's been so long.'

The woman leaned forward. 'It ain't in my hands, kid. I don't make the rules.'

Alex sighed. 'Please. Just make an exception. This time.'

The woman looked exasperated. 'Who are these people, by the way?'

'They're my parents. James Henry Scott and Isabel Alexandra Scott. They'd been convicted five years ago '

The officer looked at Alex, pity and sympathy clouding in her eyes. She looked down at her papers.

'Alright. I'll do it. Fill this out and sign here.' she said, sliding a paper across. Alex. Alex filled it out and scribbled her signature on the right corner. Donna was made to sign too. The lady officer signalled the first officer. He nodded.

'Come on. Don't wander.' said the officer.

Alex and Donna made their way through the dim-lit hallway towards the cells.