3 - The assistant

I had just sent the text message to my dad when the door to my room slamed open and the clock-guy waltz in with a six-pack of beer under his arm and a big smile on his face.

"Welcome to the family Kid." He threw a can at me which I surprisingly caught it in the air.

"Thanks?"

"Don't worry, you'll be on top of things soon enough." He snickered and sat himself down on my bed.

"On top of what exactly? What are you guys doing here?"

Clock chewed on his lip before opening a can of beer and gulping down half of it in one go. "Not my job to tell" he stated.

"Allright," I mumbled, "but who is he? I mean I don't even know his name."

"Anthony. But no one calls him that."

"I've noticed."

Clock laughed "Lu-Lu jokes around with his my-lord -crap, I call him the boss. Most people say something similar, but you'll probably come up with your own thing," he fell silent as he finished the rest of the beer, "by the way, you're invited to dinner."

"Ah, okay. Does everyone eat together?"It struck me that I had never seen anyone else in the castle other than the three of them and I had no idea who everyone else was.

"On solemn occasions, like today when our family has grown," he winked at me and grinned before walking back to the door with his arms still hugging cans of beer, "Tell me if you need anything, Little one."

Little one? His nickname annoyed me, maybe I was younger than him, but hardly small in comparison. "Hey tick-tock, how old are you?"

He turned to look at me, clearly amused he answered, "Older than you." Then stepped out of the room as quick as he'd appeared.

The dinner was one of the strangest experiences in my life. So far, there were only three of us around the table.  Clock was already drunk and sat with his feet on the tablecloth talking drunk shit, Lumiere sighed annoyed at everything he said and it struck me that they both reminded me of two comical characters I've seen in a movie at some point. However, these two were deadly at heart.

But both fell silent as soon as Anthony stepped inside the room. Clocksworth's feet slid down from the table, his back straightened and they gave the boss their full attention.

The food was served in silence by an elderly woman and a young boy who, on closer inspection, must be her son. I did not dare to ask but sat completely still and stared down at my hands, clasped in my lap.

When the food was served, everyone started eating and I slowly began to cut the rare steak that was on my plate. Apparently they preferred the meat bloody.

I was just starting to relax when his voice echoed across the table. "Lumiere, the boy needs new clothes."

I glanced down at the white dirty tank top I was wearing and the worn jeans.

"I'll take care of it, sir." The blond man answered.

"Good."

The room fell silent again, until Clock decided to speak, waving his fork around and pointing at me. "So, who's gonna teach him our ways, boss? What group will he belong to?"

Anthony glanced at Clocksworth before taking another bite of the food and swallowing before answering, "no one."

"No one?" they repeated in unison.

"He's going to be my assistant."

Everyone's eyes were fixed on me as he uttered the word, and instantly knew that this was something big. Lumiere oozed with jealousy and anger while Clocksworth looked almost terrified, as if he had given me a death sentence.