40 - An uninvited guest

-Belmont-

"Calvos'll kill me if he finds me here," Roch muttered angrily and threw the socket wrench into the gravel.

"Would surprise me if they even noticed you gone," I mumbled and kept scrolling on my cell phone.

"You behave like he's a petty thief and an idiot."  He hissed his tone so annoyed it made me look up.

"He acts like one."

"You are wrong."

I glanced questioningly at the big guy and suspected that there was a lot more then I knew behind his irritation.  Things I did not know about, so I decided to find out a little more. "What really happened after we moved to New York?"

Roch looked up at me as fast as he could before continuing to tighten the bolt to the tire he had just replaced. "Not much."

"Are the others with Calvos?"

"Yes."

"You never talk about them."

"There is nothing to say."

"Why not?"

"Why does it matter Belmont?" He wiped the sweat from his forehead and stood up.  He was more than a head taller than me and I had to take a step back to be able to look up into his face. "They don't care about the future, it's all about money, blood and status."

I raised an eyebrow, "Unlike you?"

He chuckled, "I'm here, aren't I?"

I shrugged and checked the time, an hour had passed and we should have been home by now.

So I picked up the phone, it took three signals before Clock answered, "Where are you?"

"On our way home."  I sighed, "we got a flat tire."

"How'd it go?"

"Everything went as planned."

"Good, but hurry up ... something happened."

I bit my lip and fell silent for a while, his voice sounded frustrated and I noticed he was stressed.
"Good or bad?"

"I don't know yet."

"Okay, we'll be there soon." I hung up and nodded at Roch who had just thrown the tire in the trunk. "Ready?"

"Jupp."

"Clock wants us to hurry, something's come up."

"What?"

"Don't know, but it's bad, since he didn't want to tell me on the phone." We quickly got into the car and he drove too fast on the gravel country road. "The guy we just killed ..." I glanced at Roch. "Was he a friend of yours?"

He shook his head and chuckled, "do I look like someone who has friends?"

I leaned back into the seat and rested my knees against the glove compartment before lighting another cigarette, "you know what I mean."

"We worked together."  He glared at me. "What's with all the damn questions all of a sudden? Don't he think I'm loyal?"

"Who?"

"Clocksworth!"

I laughed, "take it easy, I'm just trying to pass the time." But the atmosphere was tense so I sat quietly for the rest of the trip and fiddled with my phone.

Twenty-five minutes later we turned into the backyard of the house we moved into a few days earlier.
It was a worn two-story house with a kitchen, four bedrooms and two bathrooms, a small lawn and a large driveway with room for two, three cars.
I was so fucking happy to avoid the dirty motel that I did not care I had to share a house with Roch and Marieanne.