19 - New York

~ One year later ~

~ One year later ~

Some believe in fate, others in karma.

   I had never believed in any of it, but it was quite clear I was paying a price for my sins already.
   My karma was called Belmont.

   I was in deep thoughts as I stood outside the hotel room with my hands in my pockets and leaned wearily against the wall. 

  The corridor was empty and deserted, the only thing I could hear was the laughter and the dull voices from inside the room I'd watched for hours.

   I pulled my fingers through my hair and straightened the mess on the back of my head. 
  What the hell had I expected, that we'd have the luxury of living a normal life?
  It took one year, twelve fucking months before everything crashed.

   It started with the vampires in town finding out who we were and not long after came their demands, promises and threats.
   It felt like an eternity but in reality it had been two years, for two years I had managed to hide the drama and the bloodbaths from Bel, but the stress and anxiety had started to creep up on me. I felt it in my heart.

   How long would I be able to keep up the facade?

  Bored I scrolled through my phone, 02.00, no texts, no missed calls. My heart started to race, no new Instagram posts or stories ... What the hell?

  Belmont had the annoying habit of posting everything he did when he was out. I hated it, but also it was a relief to see him safe and sound on various dance floors drinking vodka shots with his modelling friends. 

   The anxiety hit my stomach. My thumb looked up Bel in my contact list and I hesitantly staread the phone before I dropped it back in my pocket. What would I even say?

   I couldn't even look him in the eye anymore, always afraid that he would see through me.
   He blamed himself for my silence, I knew it, and I hated myself for it.
  But how the hell do you admit to someone you love that you've lied to them for two years?

  Maybe it was time to do something about it. Fuck!
I picked up the phone again and this time I pressed the call button. I counted four signals and I was close to hanging up, but then a hesitant voice was finally heard on the other side.

   "Hello?"

   "Are you at home?"

   "Yes ..."

   "Okay..."

The silence was suffocating and the mood just got heavier every passing second, "... when will you be home?"  Bel's voice suddenly sounded weak and vulnerable from the other side of the phone.

   "I don't know, soon I hope."

   "Okay, you can wake me up, if you want. If you aren't dead tired of course. We can watch Netflix or something ..."