5 - The club

"You weren't joking."

"Obviously not," he grinned as the Mercedes stopped on a well-known street a short distance from the club where Gaston and his gang used to hang out.

"Clock you don't need to.."

"No?" He used his charming smile on me and lit the cigar, "listen, Little one, this is what's going to happen." He made a pause before continuing, "I've already introduced myself to him once, but it was in more private circumstances." He chuckled and got out of the car closely followed by me, his eyes eyed me up and down before he pulled off my jacket, threw it into the car, folded my sleeves up to my elbows and unbuttoned some buttons at the collar. "There, much better."

"So we go in and show off?" I asked thoughtfully.

"No."

"No?"

"You need to toughen up," he said and slapped me in the back of the head, "you need a cold look, a stern face, you need to look intimidating at least."

"Sure .. I'll try." I muttered in response and got a pat on the cheek.

"Good boy." Clocksworth took a small plastic zip lock bag out of his pocket and poured a bunch of pills into his hand, which he gulped down as we passed the line of queuing people and was immediately let in by the bouncers. "He's with me." The bouncer quickly glanced at me and took a step back to let me pass, but openly avoided making eye contact with any of us.

I felt everyone's eyes on me and I did everything in my power to look comfortable as I followed Clock into the club. The music thundered, it was Saturday night and the place was packed with people.

He went straight to the bar where he made an order for the both of us, while my eyes scanned the club and found Gaston immediately. "He's in the VIP lounge."

Clocksworth glanced his way, "all right, come on." He took the bottle of champagne in one hand and two glasses in the other and began to walk towards the area where Gaston and the others sat. The people on the dance floor made room for us as we approached, it was clear that everyone knew who Clock was.

It surprised me, the club was a part of my hometown and I recognized many of those who danced and sat at the bar. How had he managed to become that famous in such a short time? Or, had I just missed his existence all these years?

Nervous thoughts were spinning around inside my head, but I pushed them away when we finally arrived at the lounge. Stay tough,  the words echoed in my head and I put on an invisible mask to look as menacing as possible.

Clock gave Gaston a wicked smile and gestured with his head, a sign for them to leave. Gaston's gaze swept over him and then paused on me, his eyes were emotionless but I knew he was scared. Otherwise he would have said something a long time ago.

They quickly left the table and a boy came to remove the dirty dishes before we sat down. Clock poured the champagne and handed me a glass, smiled and raised the glass in the air, teasingly towards Gaston, who stood further away in a dark corner and studied us.

I laughed out loud, never in my wildest imagination had I thought myself taking his place at the VIP table. The adrenaline rushed inside me, the alcohol numbing my nervousness and the music vibrated throughout me. I leaned back on the couch and put my feet up on the table, I could get used to this.

I felt Clock's eyes on me, and I turned my head to raise an eyebrow. "So this is where I have to take you to relax," he looked pleased as he moved closer and his mouth was right at my ear, whispering, "can you see the looks they give us? Do you smell the scent of fear and envy?"